Default C & C please

Details:

f 4.5
1/200 sec.
ISO 100
0 step
85mm
No flash

My son plays several instruments. Here, he has his mandolin at a street side coffee house.

I'd appreciate your comments that can help me be a better photographer.

FP
Attached Images

FaithfulPastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 14, 2012, 8:03 AM   #2

I think it's a terrific photo. The only thing that distracts me is the white flowers just above his knee -- they draw my eye away from the subject.
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2012, 12:28 PM   #3

Aside from technicalities of a given shot (metering/shutter speed/iso etc....) always try to keep your mind on composition.
The fact that his feet are just in might suggest that you wanted all of your son in the frame- which is fine- provided you actually manage to get all of him in...!
Also,keep an eye on your verticals... easily forgotten in the heat of the moment.
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2012, 2:32 PM   #4

Default straightened

tclune,

I see your point about the verticles.
I just straightened the photo. In doing so, I lost a bit more of his head, feet back and rump.

The first photo is not cropped, so it is what it is.

Question: would you prefer the original or this straighten version with a that has a bit more cropping? Please do not assume I'm trying to defend the crooked photo. I'm just not sure which way to go if I have this photo printed.

Thanks!!
Michae
Attached Images

FaithfulPastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2012, 4:03 PM   #5

My C+C was with regards the original shot and how it could have been improved upon in the event on taking it- as opposed to a PP adjustment.
You cannot really add what has already been lost.
A quick rotation would have been fine had the composition not been so tight, but alas, it was...!
Of the two- the original is preferable- simply because too much of your son is lost in the second image- and too much was missing in the first.
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2012, 9:51 PM   #6
NHL

IMHO the lighting is coming in the wrong way...

If your son is facing the opposite direction instead, the highlights will be on his face and mandolin.
-> At this moment the light is targeting his back hair/neck and tennis shoe which may be distracting (may be a little bit of reverse burn/dodge are in order)

Last edited by NHL; Oct 16, 2012 at 6:01 PM. Reason: reverse the direction of the lighting
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2012, 3:25 AM   #7

For me the background is a distraction for 3 reasons. First is the subject fills the frame which gives the background more attention then if there was space to the right, left and below the subject. Next, the bright colors are a distraction. Finally the background is a jumble. That adds depth but it also makes it harder for the eye to take in at a glance as being something unimportant.

The composition contains strong lines that draw the eye right out of the frame: legs, torso, head. The one line that the eye follows from the subject into the frame (arm and mandolin) takes one right into the background jumble. See what I mean:

Name:  Mandy_lines.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  39.4 KB
ItDontMeanAThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2012, 5:15 AM   #8

hi I would look at composition the bits of the body that are not there and as said above you are taken into the busy background. I would blur that a bit which would help and crop out a lot of the legs. hope this helps
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote