Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Dec 24, 2012, 12:26 PM   #1

Default Dublin Bay on a cold winter evening.

Panorama of Dublin Bay from Dun Laoghaire Harbour in Ireland. Panorama of 3 images taken on a particularly chilly winter evening. The "island" in the background is Howth Head and is actually a headland.

Originally made using photoshop photo-merge panorama, the horizon was super wonky and after hours of messing with warping tools, i just started from scratch, manually aligned the photos & blended with the cloning brush, with infinitely better results than the photo merge tool.

I think ive captured the coldness and bleakness of the winters evening, but one thing that is bothering me is that it just doesn't look "finished" like most professional landscapes. It looks like i went nuts with the clarity slider in Raw Processing, but i added very little clarity (apologies for my poor description of what i think is wrong with it). Maybe I'm just looking at it too long and seeing too many things wrong with it.

Anyway, any advice and constructive criticism appreciated.

Happy christmas Yall-e-All!

Last edited by schmintan; Dec 24, 2012 at 12:40 PM.
schmintan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 24, 2012, 3:13 PM   #2

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

It definitely captures the cold and grey winter very well. I like the composition.

The image does look a little grainy. I could not read the EXIF to tell what ISO was being used.

Happy (Merry) Christmas to you and yours as well!

Jehan
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 1:21 PM   #3

Thanks for the feedback Wingman. Appreciate it as it seems theres not a whole lot of critique going on in the critique form the last while, think people are afraid of offending other people. Im personally all for constructive criticism so fire away with what you've got!

ISO was 200 If i remember correctly. I did push up the contrast quite a bit so that could be adding to the grain.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 5:52 PM   #4

Schmintan

I like the composition of the photo, but I grew up near the coast of the Irish sea, and your version looks much more colourful than I remember it. So I've tried to make it look greyer and chillier -
Attached Images

Herb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 6:35 PM   #5

Herb, your a genius! Thats what was wrong with it. It was too saturated, too vivid and thats what was making it look unreal.

Ive applied a color levels layer to the original photo and replaced it on flickr. Thanks a mil! I was staring at it so long i just had given up!

Happy new year to you and yours!