Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jun 23, 2013, 3:25 AM   #1

Default Japanese Maple - fall

FujiHS20 (used all the time)
Nikon Coolpix L24 (used all the time)
Nikon D60 DSLR (rarely used anymore)
Olympus 8000 (never used anymore, as I lost my data cable).

Last edited by Pantharen; Jun 23, 2013 at 11:47 PM.
Pantharen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 23, 2013, 11:08 AM   #2
Administrator

I was browsing through your posts and noticed this one. You tried to embed an image using a link to the web page it's on, versus a link to the actual image.

This is what you used:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pantharen/8306221678/

That won't work (since it's not a link to a valid image file ending in something like .jpg), and is only a link to an album page that has that image on it.

It doesn't look like Flickr is including a way to link directly to an image file anymore. See this FAQ about it:

http://www.flickr.com/help/photos/#150297614

But, you may be able to go to the All Sizes page for it, then select something like the large (1078x768) size so that it's not too large for most viewers to see in a post, then "right click" on it and get the actual link (for example, using "Copy Image Location" with Firefox). For example, right this minute, I see the large size for that image located here (the actual link to the large size image itself versus a page it's located on)

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8353/8...ab2873c5_b.jpg

But, I don't know if that link is going to be static or not (given what I see in the Flickr FAQs about linking now). So, it may or may not work going forward. For now, it appears to work though if you wanted to embed it using this link:

Or, do the same thing with one of the smaller sizes. IOW, you could go to this page for All Sizes.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/panthar...n/photostream/

Then, click on the link to the Medium Size (800x600) to view it. Then, "Right Click" on the actual image and use "Copy Image Location" with a browser like Firefox to get a link to the image file.

There's another way to do it, too.

With a Browser like Firefox, you can click on an Album page somewhere other than the image (since you've got it setup so that right clicks are disabled); then select "View Page Info" from the Firefox menu choices and you'll see a tab for "Media". That Media tab will show all images on a page (including icons, the image being displayed on the page, etc.). Then find the Image file in the list (click on an item in the list to see more detail and a preview of it) and copy the link to it (highlight the link in the Firefox Media box, press Ctrl+C to copy it). Then, use the copied link to embed the image (using Ctrl+V or Edit>Paste). IOW, disabling "right click" doesn't work if someone wants a direct link to an image, as all someone needs to do is look at page info to see a list of media links using a browser like Firefox, or find it by viewing page source instead.

Those are cumbersome ways to get the direct link to an image file though, and it looks like Flickr doesn't give you an easy way to "direct link" to images anymore (as the FAQ I linked to shows).

But, in order to embed an image in a forum post, you'll need to get the actual link to the .jpg image file (not just the page it's located on). For example, you'd need to use something like this link to the image for embedding purposes (link to 1024x768 image file)

Or, one of the other sizes. For example, this would be the direct link to the 800x600 size image file (for right now anyway, as I don't know if Flickr changes the file locations for them periodically or not, since it looks like they want to discourage direct linking now).

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8353/8...ab2873c5_c.jpg

But, it will need to be an actual image file (like one of those ending in .jpg) for embedding purposes if you want a photo to show up in a post here. You'll have to decide if you want to go against their TOS or not (as their FAQs make it sound like they don't allow direct linking to the actual image files anymore)
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2013, 11:49 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
I was browsing through your posts and noticed this one. You tried to embed an image using a link to the web page it's on, versus a link to the actual image.

This is what you used:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pantharen/8306221678/
When I made the post. I got the "moderators have to approve" I wasn't able to see my post, and see that I had made that mistake at 1:30am and I dont use Flickr very often. I can't get my copy of Umark to work, so watermarking my photos has to wait until I can buy a better WM program

I'm a systems tech by trade.

FujiHS20 (used all the time)
Nikon Coolpix L24 (used all the time)
Nikon D60 DSLR (rarely used anymore)
Olympus 8000 (never used anymore, as I lost my data cable).
Pantharen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2013, 5:02 PM   #4
Administrator

Sorry about the issues with needing mod approval. That was due to a problem with our system, as it was flagging your posts as needing moderator approval for no good reason. That issue should be solved now that you've made more posts here.

I just wanted to make sure you realized that embedded images must be links to the actual image files, not the page they're located on (as many members don't know the difference).

I see that your image is now visible in the post. So, hopefully, some of our members will comment on it.

I don't comment on images very often.... but, I'll take a shot at it.

For starters, I really like it (the blurred tree trunk leading up to the leaves makes your eyes go to the leaves, then still have plenty to look at after the most important part of the image. IOW, it's a complex image, that you can appreciate more as you look at it in more detail.

On the down side, I find the power lines distracting, and the sky is unattractive.

There's not a lot you can do about the power lines (other than editing them out). But, I'd try to find better lighting and shoot at a time of day so that the sky is not as washed out (darker blue skies would be best, and early morning or late evening may allow a better capture without as many dynamic range limitations that you often get with brighter skies).

Hopefully, some of our members can offer more tips. Exif info (time of day, shutter speed, iso speed, aperture, etc.) may also help get some tips with technical issues.

But, from my perspective, the sky color and power lines in the photo are the most distracting problems.

To help reduce the washed out look to the sky (and it's really not that bad in some parts of it, but a darker blue would be better), try shooting in very early morning light (right at, or just after sunrise) so that there is not as much difference between the the lighter and darker areas of the scene, as cameras have a very limited dynamic range (ability to capture a greater range from light to dark) and the harsher the lighting, the more likely you'll see those types of issues (lighter sky colors if other elements are properly exposed)

As for the power lines, find a different tree, or edit out the power lines in post processing (and it would probably easier to find a better subject and shoot in better lighting at a different time of day, versus doing a lot of editing later to try and mask those types of problems)
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote