Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jul 27, 2013, 6:31 AM   #1

Default What am I doing wrong ?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/9374345077/

Good morning ...

Guys I just started shooting with my first DSLR and this pic is one of my first ,
The camera I'm shooting with is a canon T3I , the lens was the kit lens
EF-S 18-55 , my iso was 320 shot at 46mm , F32 at 1/100 sec .

I'm noticing a lot of noise and I'm not 100% certain why ..

Thanks for any and all help ....
James G is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 27, 2013, 8:41 AM   #2

It doesn't look like high-iso noise . . . the picture is taken at iso320, which isn't bad. For something like this, if there was some light, I would have tried iso200 to reduce noise. But this doesn't look like iso noise.

I see this has gone through Adobe Photoshop Lightroom.

Is it possible to post the original picture or at least one that hasn't been processed by Lightroom?

What did the picture look like in camera before Lightroom processed it?
tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2013, 9:42 AM   #3

Just a guess, but it seems that perhaps you are getting some diffraction effects by shooting at f/32, and trying to recover the detail lost with lightroom, which is recovering the noise as well.
I wold suggest re-shooting at f/8 or wider aperture, and see if you get better detail without the noise.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2013, 5:19 PM   #4

I'm guessing you were shooting in aperture priority,though why did you use f/32..?? That is a tiny aperture- and in daylight even a modest shutter speed of 100th sec needed an increase in iso (which I'm guessing in in Auto iso)- though iso 320 should not introduce the level of noise seen in your image.
The image is also a tad underexposed which can increase noise if you try to correct exposure with an editor- though again,the level of noise shown in your image is extreme..!!
As for the kit lens- and with an image of the type above (landscape), Aperture priority (Av) is fine but I'd go with f/8-f/11 for the best results,as this is the sharp zone of that lens.
You're not mistaking AV for "Auto" are you...? It's a common mistake..!
Try taking the same shot in Auto or Program and see what happens...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2013, 5:25 PM   #5

Thanks for the reply guys ...
I'll be headed out again to give it another shot , I know I have been paying close attention to my in camera exposure meter and adjusting my F-stop and shutter speed .. With trial and eror, persistency I know I'll get there eventually..

I attached an unedited version , I'm shooting in RAW and only used LR to export into jpeg...

Thanks again for any and all advice ..
Attached Images

James G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2013, 12:13 PM   #6

Default image quality & filter

With your camera, you can choose to shoot RAW or JPEG. And in each of those you can choose the quality within those settings.

You probably already know this, but I'll write it anyway. You can fit more images on your memory card by choosing a lower quality. But you do sacrifice quality. The more information your camera records when you shoot, the greater the quality of the image.

Last, for the photo you took, you might need a filter on your lens.

I don't do a lot of landscape photography, I mainly shoot people. But I use a neutral density filter when I shoot landscapes. The filter does for my camera lens what polarization does for sunglasses.

Can you experienced filter users offer some advice on this for both of us?

Faithfully yours,
FP
FaithfulPastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2013, 12:43 PM   #7

FP,
A ND filter doesn't do what a polarizer does. It just darkens things, requiring you to use slower shutter/higher ISO/wider aperture. Unless you are talking about a graduated ND filter, which can be used to darken the sky, evening out the difference in lighting somewhat.
A polarizer will increase contrast, and color saturation, but may cause some odd gradations in blue skies, at some angles.

brian
Old Jul 31, 2013, 3:48 AM   #8

hi can you tell me if you used a tripod and are you using auto iso
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2013, 10:55 AM   #9
NHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by James G View Post
Thanks for the reply guys ...
I'll be headed out again to give it another shot , I know I have been paying close attention to my in camera exposure meter and adjusting my F-stop and shutter speed .. With trial and eror, persistency I know I'll get there eventually..

I attached an unedited version , I'm shooting in RAW and only used LR to export into jpeg...

Thanks again for any and all advice ..

IN my opinion SIMON40 has the best answer...

There was too much open sky (+ the water reflection doesn't help), so if the camera was on automatic, it would underexpose in this case as it thought the scene was too bright (when compared to the calibrated neutral grey inside the camera's built-in-meter). An underexposed image would show more noise than normal.

My guess is the camera could be set on Tv too (I.e. the shutter is set too low) so it picked f/32 which may not be the optimum aperture... As for filter an ND wouldn't do any good here but a polarizer could help increase the contrast and reduce the water reflection helping the camera's metering...

If not I would increase the exposure compensation (or bracket the shots) and see if the noises go away.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 12:51 PM   #10

The Exif on the posted link indicates manual exposure, so this is unlikely to be a camera metering problem. There do appear to be some sharpening artifacts in the foliage and at the waterline, which is what led me to my initial response.
JamesG, I hope you don't mind my including a cropped screenshot of your original.
Attached Images