Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jan 16, 2014, 3:07 AM   #1

Default A small wow factor

I found the way leading to the middle building interesting when I had my camera on me. After taking the photo I found that that actual tan house there looked kinda neat.
Attached Images

BrandonParsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 19, 2014, 4:27 PM   #2

--X++
BrandonParsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2014, 10:28 AM   #3

IMO it's very blurry
TD Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2014, 11:56 AM   #4

The photo is blurry and there's really nothing compelling in the composition. It looks like a random snapshot. There's no real subject or subjects of interest. Sorry.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2014, 2:12 PM   #5

To be brutally honest, I've had inadvertent shutter releases that turned out better.
100-300mm Minolta Maxxum APO Zoom
70-300 Sony apo G SSM Zoom
Streets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2014, 2:23 PM   #6

G'day BP

You will have heard the old phrase ... beauty is in the eye of the beholder
It also applies to photographs - in that what appeals to one of us / you - may not appeal to others in the audience

However, all photographs / sketches / paintings etc need to have a focal point, a centre of attention - something to grab the viewer's attention.
In this example you have said it's the tan-coloured house that caught your eye - and that's great for you

However for me, [and it appears others here], it doesn't stand out to my eye and regrettably just gets lost in all the other visuals

Keep trying mate - show us another view of the tan house, one that gives us a better view of it
Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2014, 6:37 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie_Traveller View Post
G'day BP

You will have heard the old phrase ... beauty is in the eye of the beholder
It also applies to photographs - in that what appeals to one of us / you - may not appeal to others in the audience

However, all photographs / sketches / paintings etc need to have a focal point, a centre of attention - something to grab the viewer's attention.
In this example you have said it's the tan-coloured house that caught your eye - and that's great for you

However for me, [and it appears others here], it doesn't stand out to my eye and regrettably just gets lost in all the other visuals

Keep trying mate - show us another view of the tan house, one that gives us a better view of it
Phil
I feel this is very well worth repeating, Brandon and the only suggestion I can make is that you get yourself a more resolute camera which will give you far more cropping ability without losing too much detail.
Scoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2014, 6:50 AM   #8

Scoot - I'm going to disagree a bit with your advice. A huge step in moving from snapchat to photography is actually putting some thought into a shot. In this instance, if that building is what catches the eye THEN WALK so the framing is tighter. Move around. Take several shots from different angles.

The truth is: very, very, very few individuals just have an inborn talent to see and capture immediately a fascinating image right on the spot. I'm certainly not one. And, there probably isn't one active member on this board that is. Most people that capture compelling images put quite a bit of effort into it.

The problem with the OP isn't that he needs a better camera it's that he's not putting any effort into it yet. He's in the snapchat mentality and that almost never comes up with a compelling photo.

The OP actually needs to put some more thought into the image - think about what is compelling and also what is distracting about the image. Then, the challenge becomes how he can capture and highlight what it is that is compelling to him in a way that others will see it.

I will say this: he is taking one very positive step forward by seeking feedback on his photos. That is difficult to do. And, it's difficult to hear what people here are saying. But, it's a big part of getting better. Friends and family are really horrible at helping you improve. Every shot to them is "a good shot" because you took it.

To the OP: if you're really interested I suggest you do a couple things:
A) take a class in photography
B) go to the library and take out some books - hardcopy is still nice for this type of thing because you can post-it mark pages and page back and forth rather easily. And, of course, books in the library are free.

The technology of today's cameras is easy. What's difficult is photography - so a book written in the film era is still relevant today.

You can also look online for photographic results that are compelling - architectural photography or street photography whatever. Get some ideas about composition and timing from others that are a little further along in their development.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2014, 1:13 PM   #9

Dont stop taking pictures and posting them. But you should read up on a few things like focus, shutter speed, fstop and ISO. After that something on composition would help you a lot. Whatever camera you are shooting with is capable of taking much much better shots than what I see here.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2014, 7:27 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets View Post
To be brutally honest, I've had inadvertent shutter releases that turned out better.
You funny...
Sony DT 50mm f/1.8 SAM

Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di-II LD
Tamron SP AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di USD XLD
Marawder is offline   Reply With Quote