Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jun 4, 2015, 10:33 PM   #11

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Unless you are looking for magazine quality work, shooting in RAW is probably overkill. The only time I use RAW is if I'm in some very low light conditions where I'd be looking to extract as much quality from what otherwise might be a poor image. Aperture Priority and matrix metering works well for me. For the kind of image that you have here, Automatic/Program or AE mode should have given you a decent image. Today's DSLR's and Point & Shoot cameras for the most part can produce technically excellent images. If your struggling to get decent images out of your camera, you might want to have it checked for proper exposure calibration. Here is an example of a picture from a Canon S90 (Point & shoot) with some minor editing (cropping, contrast and a little sharpening) in Photoshop Elements. Your camera should be able to do just as good or better.
Jehan
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2015, 4:35 PM   #12

I use DIP Pro 9

Dodge brush at 6 varying brush size as req.
Desaturate 15%
Brightness -5
Contrast -15
Recrop

Last edited by bernabeu; Jun 27, 2015 at 5:25 PM.
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2015, 5:08 PM   #13

For very important shots, you might want to try "auto-bracket".
sdromel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2015, 10:38 PM   #14

While Wingman's advice isnt exactly wrong, its not the best piece of advice. Always shoot Raw unless you know that every pic you are going to shoot in jpeg is of no consequence. Is it overkill? Not at all. I mean if it was overkill whats the problem? It doesnt take any longer to shoot Raw, it takes up more space, but with more information to work with later. And storage cards are big enough to cover any amount of photos you can shoot in a day. So there is really no excuse to shoot in any other format than Raw. And personally, I believe every time you press the shutter it should be for magazine quality. You never know. Your photo is a great example why to underexpose instead of overexpose. Over and the info is gone, under and it can easily be saved when you have shot in Raw. You've seen probably the best examples of the jpeg file fixed as well as it can be. You should be better prepared next time. By the way, he is looking square at the camera, and its not such a bad pic anyway. Due to the size of the image this is about as good as I could do with it. The original size file would be better to work with.
Attached Images

Last edited by Bynx; Jun 5, 2015 at 11:01 PM.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2015, 11:18 PM   #15

Shooting Raw is not a bad idea, and once you get used to the Raw developing software, doesn't take that much extra time. There are times, though, when the exposure gets a bit too out of hand to correct even in Raw, and sdromel's suggestion about bracketing is a good one.
My new Pentax K3 lets me be lazy, and I can combine the auto bracketing with in-camera HDR, giving me pretty much the best of both worlds, since I can save the Raw file after taking the shot.
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2015, 3:33 AM   #16

I will second what VTphotog and sdromel says. If you do bracket your shots this will even give you the added benefit of perhaps making an HDR image. Now bracketing all your shots is not recommended because that might fill up your card pretty quickly. But for those important shots that you are shooting quickly, bracketing is the way to go. Then when there are quick light changes like a cloud moving over the sun or away from it, your exposure will be better covered.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2015, 2:50 AM   #17

I was having a boring night. Hope you don't mind me taking a try at it.
Ya Me
Attached Images

yame is offline   Reply With Quote