Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jun 3, 2015, 10:33 PM   #1

Default PLEASE Help

Could someone please tell me what I am doing wrong with editing? The color is ALL wrong. The original photo was overexposed bc the sun popped out during his speech, and I did not make changes accordingly. (Partly cloudy day, and I was using this statue ceremony to practice in M mode.)
Well, apparently no one else snapped a photo of our state senator giving his speech, and I have been asked for it. I am using Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop to edit. I JUST downloaded the program last night, and I am struggling BIG TIME as you can see.
Can it be saved, and if so, HOW?
Attached Images

stefaniriggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 3, 2015, 10:37 PM   #2

Any better? Or am I just making it worse?
Attached Images

Old Jun 4, 2015, 8:12 AM   #3

What are you using to edit the photo? You should be able to adjusts the brightness, without effecting the color or white balance.

I did this quick with a simple editing software. Unfortunately, the whites in this photos are blown out due to overexposure. So, you won't be able to recover those details. However, by adjusting the brightness, gamma, and contrast, you can make the image look a bit less overexposed.

If you had taken this in RAW, you'd have a better chance of correcting this issue.

If I can be of more help, let me know. If I had the full-res image, I could do a bit more as well.

Good luck!

Name:  IMG_3986AB-edit-1.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  164.1 KB

Name:  IMG_3986AB-edit-2.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  174.2 KB
billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2015, 9:04 AM   #4

I'm not really familiar with Adobe products, but it looks as if you were using the highlight recovery in Lightroom. If the original was in jpeg format, it would have very limited results, and sometimes results in a color cast. If it was done to a Raw file, it probably indicates the overexposed areas were beyond the range of what the program can do.
Your first picture seems to have correct colors, and, except for the overexposed highlights, isn't bad. You could rase the white level a little, and slightly adjust the curves, or possibly just the gamma, to get a bit of improvement.
I opened it in Photoimpact, and used the HDR tool to create and adjust it as a simulated HDR, bringing up the highlight detail level, then pasted it back over the original, in Multiply mode with about 45% transparency. (if that means anything to you)
Attached Images

VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2015, 12:17 PM   #5

what format you shoot in ?? RAW JPEG?? as above mentioned the full size file would be better also lose the wire
Attached Images

Old Jun 4, 2015, 2:24 PM   #6

Shortened sharpened and adjusted, I agree with the previous comments the original file might make a difference for editing.
Attached Images

musket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2015, 5:50 PM   #7

[QUOTE=billy;1390889]What are you using to edit the photo? You should be able to adjusts the brightness, without effecting the color or white balance.

I did this quick with a simple editing software. Unfortunately, the whites in this photos are blown out due to overexposure. So, you won't be able to recover those details. However, by adjusting the brightness, gamma, and contrast, you can make the image look a bit less overexposed.

If you had taken this in RAW, you'd have a better chance of correcting this issue.

If I can be of more help, let me know. If I had the full-res image, I could do a bit more as well.

Good luck!

Attachment 204650

I am using Lightroom & Adobe Photoshop CC for editing. I have just started shooting in RAW & JPEG, but I changed it back to just JPEG for some reason, and forgot to switch it back. (A mistake I will not make again.)

Thanks so much for your help. You guys have been great!

I am going to go back to the original file and apply the different suggestions from everyone. This is a good learning experience for me!
Old Jun 4, 2015, 6:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTphotog View Post
I'm not really familiar with Adobe products, but it looks as if you were using the highlight recovery in Lightroom. If the original was in jpeg format, it would have very limited results, and sometimes results in a color cast. If it was done to a Raw file, it probably indicates the overexposed areas were beyond the range of what the program can do.
Your first picture seems to have correct colors, and, except for the overexposed highlights, isn't bad. You could rase the white level a little, and slightly adjust the curves, or possibly just the gamma, to get a bit of improvement.
I opened it in Photoimpact, and used the HDR tool to create and adjust it as a simulated HDR, bringing up the highlight detail level, then pasted it back over the original, in Multiply mode with about 45% transparency. (if that means anything to you)
I use Lightroom to make some adjustments, and them switched over to Photoshop. Is that ever a good idea? Or do I need to just stick with one?
Old Jun 4, 2015, 6:02 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple View Post
what format you shoot in ?? RAW JPEG?? as above mentioned the full size file would be better also lose the wire
I shot in JPEG by mistake.
The wire from the microphone? I think I have at least figured out how to do that. Thanks for the suggestion! I hadn't noticed it! (Goodness, I have a LONG way to go!)
Old Jun 4, 2015, 8:17 PM   #10

There are things you can do with Lightroom when developing Raw files, which Photoshop can't do (I think - as I said, I'm not that familiar with them) In general, Raw gives you more leeway to correct over and under exposure, but there are limits, and it's best not to have to. In most situations, I will shoot in Aperture priority, and have the camera set to -1/3 to -2/3 EV. This doesn't always avoid blown out highlights, but usually will, and shadows are easier to fix with editing software than highlights are.
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote