Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jun 27, 2015, 1:16 PM   #1
conor

Default Nicole

Well, this was taken about two years ago. Originally a candid, taken during the tail end of partying. I was in the mood to do some post, but didn't have any new shots, so I pulled this one out of the vault.

Depending on the monitor, this is a touch on the red side. I think I need to sit down and get the colour balance (on the monitor) right.

Attachment 204748

C&C welcome and appreciated!

Last edited by conor; Apr 21, 2016 at 10:13 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 27, 2015, 9:23 PM   #2
conor

The more I look at this, the more I hate it.... The more I see things I'd like to change about the shot...

I have the original. Does anyone wanna try their hand at post-processing? I'll send the NEF or a full resolution PNG....

I'm trying to figure out what went wrong here... especially in post, other than the fact that the white balance is out....
Old Jun 28, 2015, 1:51 AM   #3

Conor, just a quick edit with PSE 11. I did a levels adjustment, and skin tone. We all see things differently, so if this is not what you had in mind, I'll be glad to take it down. Oh, I almost forgot! Very nice looking model you have there!
Attached Images

My Flickr
-Robert-

Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2015, 1:18 PM   #4
conor

Robert,

I do prefer my take on the edit, BUT, this is likely due to the artifacts created by me pushing the white balance too hard, saving the file, and you pushing it back, and saving the file.

I threw a PNG (converted from NEF "as shot") on my Google drive, if you feel like playing with the original, rather than my edit:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0...Wk0&authuser=0

Edit: yes, she was a good model, had a bit of experience too... Thing is, these were just candids. She was wearing one of my old sweaters because she spilled her drink on her shirt or something... too long ago to remember. I'd love to set up to shoot her properly, but we've barely spoken in a year!

Edit: Did you change the colour of one of her eyes? She had one blue contact and one green contact in... but in your edit, they look the same colour!

Last edited by conor; Jun 28, 2015 at 2:09 PM.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 1:31 PM   #5

Looking at the PIX info, it has been pre-processed in Adobe so it is not evident fully as to what the camera was originally recording.

It is interesting what "auto levels" of my PE2 sees (included PIX below).

This looks like a PIX that was actually taken with flash (eg, flash so bright that areas are washed out), but has afterwards been messe'd with.

I really dont understand how one cannot notice a monitor that far maladjusted unless done on purpose. (Putting up any kind of BW PIX would immediately demonstrate a view being in a totally different color space world - "you dont need a weatherman to tell which way the wind is blow'n".)
Attached Images

sdromel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2015, 1:40 PM   #6
conor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdromel View Post
Looking at the PIX info, it has been pre-processed in Adobe so it is not evident fully as to what the camera was originally recording.
I had to do *something* to convert the NEF to PNG.
Opened the image in PS, which gives you the RAW conversion screen.
I chose the defaults, didn't play with anything, left the white balance "as shot".

There's obviously going to be *some* processing done, to convert the NEF to PNG, but I don't think it should have played with the image too much.

Yes, my SB-900 was on camera, bounced off my favourite diffuser, the light would have been coming from my right.

On second thought, something is amiss. I uploaded the NEF file too, and they do look different, when comparing the thumbnails side by - I wonder what I screwed up...

Oh well, here you go folks, the NEF file to play with!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0...cXM&authuser=0

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdromel View Post
I really dont understand how one cannot notice a monitor that far maladjusted unless done on purpose. (Putting up any kind of BW PIX would immediately demonstrate a view being in a totally different color space world - "you dont need a weatherman to tell which way the wind is blow'n".)
The monitor isn't THAT far out, mostly it's too bright. I think the reds are a touch aggressive, the combination means that most snapshots look decent, but when I start working in PS, I get carried away, and push an edit further than intended.

Last edited by conor; Jun 28, 2015 at 1:44 PM.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 3:59 PM   #7

Hi, Conor;
Trying to get good color and brightness set up on monitors can be a somewhat lengthy process. Most of them are too bright, by quite a lot, and many of them (particularly LED backlit models) are too blue. This has been the case with a couple laptops and desktop monitors I have.
The lighting here is a bit contrasty, and I can see that you want to keep the highlights from being too strong, which causes a bright spot on her breast (which is on a Rule of Thirds junction, and draws the eye- probably not what you are trying to emphasize)
I opened your .NEF file in Irfanview, and reduced the red channel while increasing the blue slightly. Lightened midtones and increased saturation to compensate. Thought a square crop would suit the shot and get rid of the highlighted breast.
Attached Images

VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2015, 1:10 PM   #8
conor

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTphotog View Post
Hi, Conor;
Trying to get good color and brightness set up on monitors can be a somewhat lengthy process. Most of them are too bright, by quite a lot, and many of them (particularly LED backlit models) are too blue. This has been the case with a couple laptops and desktop monitors I have.
Agreed, I've always had to fight with LCD monitors. My experience (with LCD, not LED), is that they're too bright and colour balanced to hide the reds (as soon as you print a shot, it looks overly red).

I like your suggestions regarding this shot, and appreciate you taking the time to play with it! Gives me even more to think about!
Old Jul 4, 2015, 11:12 PM   #9

I kind of thought this PIX was a done deal on Flickrv over a week ago.

(On second look, this thing is better shrunk down a bit - I hate large PIX posts.)
Attached Images

Last edited by sdromel; Jul 5, 2015 at 10:55 AM.
sdromel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2015, 3:00 PM   #10

Interesting edits all have something to offer, Here's another

A calibrated monitor is a worthwhile purchase. I recently got a new BenQ 27" GW2765HT monitor and that's what I've been using this past week or so.

Glad you left the exif on the pic on your edit, which was good isolating the subject from the background but the light levels seemed a bit low

I put your edit through DXO Optics pro 10 for for some noise reduction, then Photoscape to add backlight and bloom for this edit.

The jacket was unzipped for a reason, can't see why anyone would want to crop it out.

Don't forget to look in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IUiMem5VnE
Attached Images

Last edited by musket; Jul 16, 2015 at 5:36 AM. Reason: additional
musket is offline   Reply With Quote