Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Sep 6, 2015, 7:17 AM   #1

Default A Local Cowboy

I shot this while Peter was standing beside an open doorway. Any advice from those of you who shoot portraits?
Attached Images

Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 7, 2015, 4:21 AM   #2

Nice shot, although I think portraits work best when the light is on the subject not the background
musket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2015, 9:58 AM   #3

Thanks for that Musket. I didnt like the open door, but it was there. Your comment made me do it.
Attached Images

Old Sep 8, 2015, 8:30 AM   #4

How about a black background and bolder image and a B&W Edit
Attached Images

Last edited by musket; Sep 8, 2015 at 9:07 AM.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 2:31 PM   #5

While I like the B&W version, the problem I see is the highlights are burned out. Id prefer to keep some details there. I do also like the details you brought out under his right eye. Your version is too hard. Mine is softer and more realistic looking. Processing, in my opinion, shouldnt overcome the photo quality. When you look at a photo, you shouldnt first notice the processing done. It should look like a good photo that you might consider how it was done, instead of seeing the processing first and saying too much of this or too little of that. I do appreciate your input Musket. Thanks.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 5:25 PM   #6

You're welcome, the lighting was poor to begin with and not having the original file supplied to work with didn't make it any easier. i would expect that highlight would get burned out whilst trying to bring the dark areas out. Still there's always something to be learned from mistakes.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 8:48 PM   #7

It is now quite easy to address shadow areas without affecting the highlights at all. Or vise versa.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 2:58 AM   #8

Better to get the shot right, a shot in the dark with no flash and low ISO and not long enough exposure, didn't really work. Have you tried a black cat in a coal cellar without a flash? lol

Portrait photography is usually about capturing the light reflected of the subject, if there is no light or the lighting is poor then the result isn't worth a lot, especially if you don't want the PP result to look processed.

Last edited by musket; Sep 9, 2015 at 3:07 AM.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 7:23 AM   #9

While I completely agree Musket, this wasnt a setup shot. I was in the guys antique store and when I turned around he was standing there talking with another customer. There was something odd about the light on him, mostly coming from the open door but other light bouncing off some glass and mirrors that lit up the brim of his hat outlining it against the dark wooden wall and his right ear. It also cast some light on his right cheek and there were white pinpoints of light in his eyes. After having come in from shooting outside, I just quickly raised the camera, made a quick adjustment and took the shot. Id almost call it street photography as he wasnt aware I was taking his picture. There are different lighting effects like butterfly, rembrandt etc that creates a certain lighting look on the face. Im not sure what this is called but it seemed to fill the need.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 6:39 PM   #10

musket B&W is awesome
it almost looks like a cartoon
D3v1l is offline   Reply With Quote