Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Mar 29, 2016, 11:04 AM   #11

To keep things equal edromel you should repost your alteration the same size as everyone else. Why did you go to the extra effort to make the pic smaller?

I think the champagne color of the bride's dress is confusing people. The added red reflection from the carpet isnt helping any. If you monkey with the colors too much it will look more fake than an actual improvement. In my opinion. Slade and Muskets versions are pretty close as well.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2016, 11:21 AM   #12

OK, my rendering was way over the top, but it wasn't my take on that pic, the guy didn't ask for that, he asked for help on PS, I quickly advised a way to start (minutes), had I spent much more time on analysing, as you guys obviously did I may have come up with something similar. ... J
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2016, 12:08 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
To keep things equal edromel you should repost your alteration the same size as everyone else. Why did you go to the extra effort to make the pic smaller?

I think the champagne color of the bride's dress is confusing people. The added red reflection from the carpet isnt helping any. If you monkey with the colors too much it will look more fake than an actual improvement. In my opinion. Slade and Muskets versions are pretty close as well.

Some issues I saw were areas that seemed to be highlight blow outs, not as natural skin color, probable whites not white. Another was seeming indistinct detail in some areas (such the flowers). Sharpening a pix can sometimes be the best way to help bring out detail, but another way sometimes can be to reduce the photo size. It depends on the particular situation.

Sometimes with a photo that has many concurrent difficult areas, changing the rendition including adding a frame or border and/or using brushes to touch areas produces a good effect.

This is a difficult photo and the attempt was to try to show an alternate rendition.

Otherwise, the simplest is just go into PS & lighten out yellow. (I do that all the time with indoor church photos.)

With this photo, if you want to go further, then masking and using brushes in an artful manner would probably produce a desired effect, but it will not be easily reproducible by another party.
sdromel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2016, 7:55 PM   #14

I have found with small images like this usually within 2-5 minutes of messing is about the best you will get. If you keep going usually certain areas will get funny. This is also why I think it is CRAZY not to shot everything in RAW.
Slade07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2016, 12:15 AM   #15

Yup I agree with you Slade. I shoot everything in raw.

sdromel, I disagree that this was a difficult image. It simply needed some yellow removed. The red cast from the rug was annoying and fixable as well. All that was asked was to fix the yellow cast. Not to create an entirely new photo.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 5:08 AM   #16

All that was asked was what to do in photoshop to remove the yellow cast

Other alternative is to convert to B&W
Attached Images

Last edited by musket; Mar 30, 2016 at 5:52 AM.
musket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2016, 9:15 AM   #17

Between all the submissions, your B&W take on it is probably the best way to deal with the color problems in the pic. Now looking at your B&W gave me an idea.
Attached Images

Old Mar 30, 2016, 3:27 PM   #18
conor

Quote:
Well Conor, on my monitor the windows his shirt and pocket hankie are white. His tie is a champagne color which is what her dress is also. There is a strong red reflection from the rug cast on the pews as well as her dress. Ive removed the yellow cast, lowered the red from the rug which reduced the reflection on her dress somewhat as well as the reddish cast to the pews. Taking each element on its own, the rug looks good, as well as the pews, the flag, the windows, the skin, and the green flower stems. The only thing I dont like is the glare on his hand. It looks a little bleached out. Other than that I dont have any problems with it. Looking at jachol's take on it, I can only say WOW. There isnt much about the attempt that is right. Really blue cast now, no details in the shadows as you can see the guys brown suit has become a dark blue one. The womans dress is bleached highlights. When I saw it I was absolutely speechless. My version isnt a far cry from the original, but as I see it not a lot was needed except what was asked for, reducing the yellowish tone and toning down the red. Also the ceiling is white, but the walls are a creamy yellow color. Muskets take was pretty close.
I was referring only to the the original. I highly doubt each element in the original shot would look the way it does if it were alone under light that was in the 5500-6500k (flash to daylight) range. Because there are two conflicting light sources (fluorescent + red reflection), there are bound to be points where these light sources clash, I feel they show up in certain places on the dress and other "lighter" areas in the shot. This makes solving all the issues with the dress difficult (repeat for all the other elements in the shot). For this reason alone, I don't think it would be possible to get studio quality colours out of the frame. *shrug*

Quote:
Between all the submissions, your B&W take on it is probably the best way to deal with the color problems in the pic. Now looking at your B&W gave me an idea.
I actually like this last edit best of all the colour ones. It feels like there are more tweaks, but they are more subtle.

Last edited by conor; Mar 30, 2016 at 3:32 PM.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 5:41 AM   #19

@Bynx A good last effort to remove the dazzling colours from the brides dress, the most appealing colour edit so far.
musket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2016, 8:52 AM   #20

Its a wild pic musket. Notice the heavy red color in the grooms brown pants. They could use some work as well.