Old Apr 19, 2016, 10:41 AM   #11

A great shot, and a great pistol!
billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2016, 1:39 PM   #12
conor

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy View Post
A great shot, and a great pistol!
The pistol looks much nicer than it is. It's a GSG 1911 in .22LR. Other than being a full frame .22, it doesn't have much going for it. (Though, I believe that it's built in the same factory as Sig Sauer firearms, and uses the same parts as the Sig 1911)

After being kicked around to and from the range for two years, and having discharged upwards of 3000 rounds, it was looking pretty rough, so I stripped the paint off and polished the aluminum. Though the slide holds its lustre, the receiver tarnishes fairly quickly... Cheap gun, cheap metal... And it looks better than it shoots!

Last edited by conor; Apr 19, 2016 at 1:47 PM.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 3:54 PM   #13

very nice final result Conor
but seeing as this is the critique section if was i was going to change something i would like to see the same picture with you wearing black gloves, my reason being the brightest part of your photo is the hands, where i think it should be the face or the gun.
its not really a critique more of a suggestion.
kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2016, 11:30 PM   #14
conor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazuya View Post
very nice final result Conor
but seeing as this is the critique section if was i was going to change something i would like to see the same picture with you wearing black gloves, my reason being the brightest part of your photo is the hands, where i think it should be the face or the gun.
its not really a critique more of a suggestion.
Thanks, that's actually valuable for me. I hadn't noticed until now.
While staging the shot, I *had* been worried about the leading edge of the trigger-guard kicking out nasty reflections, I failed to consider my pasty-white skin glowing under flash.

Plus, there's a good argument to be made that "bare hands" in this "scene" is "wrong" to begin with.

Thanks for the suggestion!! =)
Old Apr 20, 2016, 10:22 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by conor View Post
The pistol looks much nicer than it is. It's a GSG 1911 in .22LR. Other than being a full frame .22, it doesn't have much going for it. (Though, I believe that it's built in the same factory as Sig Sauer firearms, and uses the same parts as the Sig 1911)

After being kicked around to and from the range for two years, and having discharged upwards of 3000 rounds, it was looking pretty rough, so I stripped the paint off and polished the aluminum. Though the slide holds its lustre, the receiver tarnishes fairly quickly... Cheap gun, cheap metal... And it looks better than it shoots!
You got me! I should have noticed that the muzzle opening looked a little small for a .45ACP

Again, great shot. The 1911 is my favorite pistol platform. Some day soon I hope to have a M1911A1 example from the WW2-era.

Cheers,
Old Apr 20, 2016, 12:52 PM   #16
conor

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy View Post
You got me! I should have noticed that the muzzle opening looked a little small for a .45ACP
I did my best to leave the "inside" of the barrel-cap black when I removed the paint, in an effort to make the muzzle look larger than it is.
Quote:
The 1911 is my favorite pistol platform. Some day soon I hope to have a M1911A1 example from the WW2-era.
I generally lean towards polymer, striker-fired pistols, and I generally consider the .45ACP overkill for my uses.
That said, I will eventually have a nice solid 1911, likely by Springfield Armory
Old Apr 20, 2016, 3:02 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by conor View Post
I did my best to leave the "inside" of the barrel-cap black when I removed the paint, in an effort to make the muzzle look larger than it is.

I generally lean towards polymer, striker-fired pistols, and I generally consider the .45ACP overkill for my uses.
That said, I will eventually have a nice solid 1911, likely by Springfield Armory
My Springer (an OLD photo of it):

I carried that daily for some time. However, I've since changed over to carrying a Glock 19. I've owned a lot of Glocks, some Sigs, etc. But, the 1911 always comes out on top.

As for the .45ACP being overkill. When I'm asked why I carry a .45, I answer, "Because they don't make a .46."

This was a STI 1911 I had for a short time, with some custom work done by a very well respected 1911 pistol smith. It shot so well, it made me look good.

Old Apr 20, 2016, 4:50 PM   #18

Haha We're only allowed BB guns in this country

musket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2016, 6:40 PM   #19
conor

If I could carry, I'd be carrying something like an FN in .7x28mm.
I'm a big fan of the light, super-high-velocity rounds...
Range and accuracy over raw stopping power...
The same school of thought that has seen military rifle rounds decrease in size over the last 50...

All that said, your Springfield is (was?) a beautiful pistol. Very nice indeed. I'm most definitely jealous =)

Edit: Since we can't carry (in Canada), at ALL (unless you're armed as part of your employment), any time I fire a pistol, it's a licensed range (the only place I can legally fire one). At this point, once you're into full sized pistols, cost of ammunition is a major motivator for most shooters. Why shoot .45ACP or .40S&W into paper targets when 9mm makes approximately the same hole, for half the price. =)

Last edited by conor; Apr 20, 2016 at 6:44 PM.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 6:47 PM   #20
conor

Have to ask, what's that "casing", marked with NRA, that's holding up the pistol? It looks like a tie clip of some kind... and also looks like a .284 Winchester casing... or a boresighter...

So, what *is* it?