Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Dec 4, 2017, 1:15 PM   #1

Default View immediately before breakfast today

Taken in haste because the colors were rapidly fading.
Attached Images

Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 4, 2017, 7:28 PM   #2

This is a toughie. Beautiful sky but whether taken in haste or set up on a tripod its a lousy picture. I mean would you consider having a big print made to hang on the wall? In your position I would just enjoy the scene. Otherwise, next time try to get on the other side of those wires. Also get in a position that gives you a composition. There is no composition here at all. I think you posted a similar image recently and the wires were removed. This time there is that big black lump in the middle. Sorry I cant say anything good about this other than you were lucky to have seen a nice sky.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2017, 11:12 PM   #3

What you say is entirely true, Bynx, and I certainly wouldn't want to hang it on my wall.

The time that the actual scene existed is probably best expressed in seconds and perhaps pictures of this sort, despite their defects, can serve as reminders of what we saw (in this case the nice sky) & which we would otherwise probably forget?

It would be interesting to discuss whether that is a worthwhile purpose.

You don't mention the frame. Would you agree that a suitable frame can enhance even defective pictures?
Old Dec 4, 2017, 11:34 PM   #4

If you put a solid gold frame around a pic of dog poop, its still dog poop. You asked whether its worth while to shoot a nice scene even if you cant make a composition out of it such as this pic. I suppose so if you want to catalogue a memory for yourself. Would I post it for all to see? Nope. Simply because there are guys like me that might be honest and look at the pic as more than your memory. I dont like the wires, and the whole bottom of the pic as well as that big lump in the middle. If you know there is going to be a nice sunset then put some effort into going to a spot, any spot that will give you an unobstructed view of the sky and some ground. Enough to give you a composition. Its a real shame because it was a very splendid sky and would have made an excellent photo with some kind of composition. And all that I have said comes from the heart. Im not saying it to be a dick.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2017, 12:04 AM   #5

It would have been better as it seems picture is noisy and blurred.
Maitri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2017, 6:44 AM   #6

That's the type of photo that will win the "photo of the day" in a local newspaper or website because they will make the connection that it was a once in lifetime event. Nobody else saw it and might not even believe you if you tried to describe it and it was obvious where you were.

That's the type of photo that people in the area will remember and associate with. It has an entirely different meaning and value to them.
BBbuilder467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2017, 9:22 AM   #7

Herb, I hope you don't mind and please tell me if you do but, I took the liberty of editing your image. I didn't take a lot of time but just thought it deserved a little cleaning up.

My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2017, 12:06 PM   #8

Gitoth - I was about to ask everybody whether we were in a curate's egg situation where the best that could be said that it was "good in parts" or whether, on the other hand it might be possible to preserve the very memorable sky while modifying the obnoxious components so as to turn the whole thing into something presentable.

I was (and still am) planning to have a go at doing it myself, but now I see that you have been thinking along the same lines and have beaten me to it. Thank you!

There was quite a different sky this morning and I took some more pictures of the entire view. Whether they will help in my endeavors remains to be seen. Meantime I very much appreciate your effort.

Maitri - You commented on the noise in the picture. I wonder if it's caused by the Steve's Digicam's site? It used to reject any file that had too many kbs. but I've noticed that lately it downsizes every file that's posted so that they are always way, way below the limit. Has anybody else experienced this?
Old Dec 5, 2017, 1:53 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb View Post
Gitoth - I was about to ask everybody whether we were in a curate's egg situation where the best that could be said that it was "good in parts" or whether, on the other hand it might be possible to preserve the very memorable sky while modifying the obnoxious components so as to turn the whole thing into something presentable.

I was (and still am) planning to have a go at doing it myself, but now I see that you have been thinking along the same lines and have beaten me to it. Thank you!

There was quite a different sky this morning and I took some more pictures of the entire view. Whether they will help in my endeavors remains to be seen. Meantime I very much appreciate your effort.

Maitri - You commented on the noise in the picture. I wonder if it's caused by the Steve's Digicam's site? It used to reject any file that had too many kbs. but I've noticed that lately it downsizes every file that's posted so that they are always way, way below the limit. Has anybody else experienced this?
Herb, try linking your files in from a photo-sharing site. Many of the folks on my forum use http://imgbb.com It's free and extremely easy to use.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2017, 8:54 PM   #10

Here's my last effort based on Gitoth's version. The main thing I've done is to rotate it a bit. And of course to avoid using a gold frame, though I expect there were plenty of dogs contributing their part in the shadows between our house and the horizon.

I've since discovered that other people noticed - and photographed - that sunrise too, though several minutes later. One lives in an upper level of a downtown highrise so there are no ugly lumps between his balcony and the horizon. He used his new cell phone to both take the picture and to email it to me. Maybe other people now have far better pictures of it than he and I do . I'll post that picture as well shortly as a matter of curiosity.
Attached Images