Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Dec 8, 2017, 1:03 PM   #1

Default Disagreeable December breakfasttime view

I've been trying to think of a title for this. "Dismal" and " Dreary" both sprang to mind, but maybe "Ill-tempered morning Sky" would fit too?

I wonder too whether the wires and central Hydro pole - and the frame for that matter - add to the impression of a bad mood, or even evoke it?

I hope this link works. Maybe it needs to be cut and pasted into your browser.

HTML Code:
https://ibb.co/c14qkG

Last edited by Herb; Dec 8, 2017 at 1:21 PM. Reason: Forgot to include a word
Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 9, 2017, 3:05 PM   #2

Its like deja vous. And I stand by what I said last time. However, if someone will erase the wires, and recrop it and you add a border, well, you will still have the same thing. BC is a beautiful province. Dont you get out and shoot something worthwhile? How about some whales?
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2017, 3:41 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb View Post
I've been trying to think of a title for this. "Dismal" and " Dreary" both sprang to mind, but maybe "Ill-tempered morning Sky" would fit too?

I wonder too whether the wires and central Hydro pole - and the frame for that matter - add to the impression of a bad mood, or even evoke it?

I hope this link works. Maybe it needs to be cut and pasted into your browser.

HTML Code:
https://ibb.co/c14qkG
How about this?

My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2017, 4:06 PM   #4

Whales? Scarcely a step up from shooting earthworms. Doubtless some people think earthworms are 'beautiful'.

When it comes to pictures, 'beauty' alone is a rather shallow quality. Pictures need to evoke an emotion or feeling of some sort.

Consider the recently discovered collection of Vivian Maier's monochrome photographs taken in New York and other cities..

There's very little in them that's beautiful in the conventional sense. The backgrounds in them are mostly very ugly indeed, but it doesn't detract in the slightest from their greatness.

Compare them with some technically exquisitely detailed and colorful HDR pictures of city scenes that we see from time to time. Compared with Vivian Maier's pictures they are completely sterile.

However, chacun a son gout, eh?
Old Dec 9, 2017, 5:58 PM   #5

I have all the books and video on Vivian Maiers. Her photos are simple and engrossing. I cant remember seeing pics of phone and hydro wires though. I dont like to be a dick about this but really. Earthworms would be more interesting than hydro lines.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 6:47 PM   #6

I disagree. Hydro lines are evidence of human presence and it is arguable that airbrushing them out of a real scene is deceitful - as was the old Soviet habit of brushing Stalin's victims out of group photographs of his Politburo.

I'm not condemning airbrushing hydro lines out of hand: I'm just saying that it can be argued that it turns the resulting picture into something that's false.

It can of course be argued that every picture ever made is a pretense, simply because it isn't the real thing. I'm not seriously arguing that argument, - I'm only pointing out that different people have different tastes and that they are entitled to them.

To look at the whole question in another way - beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and if the beholder fails to see the beauty that is seen by another, then he is the loser.

I can't say that I like this, which makes me the loser. Perhaps I can share that status with Bynx? Nonetheless I assume that this artist's images appeal to a good many people - (See the first picture) -

http://www.matthewmessmer.com/artwork

Last edited by Herb; Dec 9, 2017 at 7:52 PM. Reason: explanation
Old Dec 9, 2017, 8:02 PM   #7

As you say Herb, you are scarcely a step up from shooting earthworms. I hope one day you will return here and say to yourself.....what was I thinking.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 10:49 AM   #8

I was hoping, Bynx, to hear your comments on the fact that Matthew Messmer does not seem to share your evident phobia about poles and wires.

For myself, I try to avoid being narrow minded. There are very few earthworms to be seen at this time of year, but if I see a photogenic one I will endeavour to post it's picture in order to read your comments.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 2:12 PM   #9

Hey Herb, I said I didnt want to be a dick about this, but if you think the last couple of posts full of wires is something you would hang on your wall, then by all means keep at it. If you wouldnt hang them up, then why are you repeating the same thing? Move on to something new, because you dont improve your skills by shooting the same thing over and over. There are many different things to photograph. If the view out your window isnt so great then there are lots of stuff inside that work fine. Just my opinion and I hope, no hard feelings. But this is the criticism forum and Im criticizing. By the way who is Matthew Messmer?

Last edited by Bynx; Dec 10, 2017 at 2:15 PM.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 2:42 PM   #10

Who is Matthew Messmer? Did you not read - and consider - my earlier post drawing attention to his pictures? They are largely Japanese-inspired Woodblocks.

Just Google the name Matthew Messner and you will find several references to him.

As for my breakfast table view, I like it because it offers an infinite variety. If you are incapable of appreciating variety because of your poles and wires fixation then you are missing one of the good things that life offers.