Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Dec 10, 2017, 3:47 PM   #1

Default Another sunrise

Perhaps this should be posted in the HDR forum, but I'm posting it here to discuss not so much of how it was done (which HDR apps etc.) but rather the topic that some people like to discuss, of there's any potential of it being a "wall hanger" - or home-made calendar picture, or weekend newspaper picture or whatever.
Attached Images

Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 10, 2017, 9:01 PM   #2

It is what it is. Im glad to see you tried to take out half of those annoying lines. Not sure how many images you shot for your HDR, but I think you could have used a couple more in the in both the highlights and shadows. That might have help eliminate those dark gray outlines around the center parts of the clouds beside the trees. For the most part I like the colors, but I feel it wont be a wall hanger. Better than your last attempts.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2017, 11:21 PM   #3
Banned

I am glad to see this picture as it is beautifully captured with great color effects.
Maitri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2017, 11:01 AM   #4

There's a bit of a story behind this picture - I hope it isn't too boring.

My main motive in writing this is to explain - as best I remember - how I got to this result.

For a start the camera was hand held and used automatic exposure bracketing to produce 5 shots. One of those was a bit blurred so was discarded. I loaded the 4 shots into an HDR program (Program 1) and from the variety it offered I made two differently tonemapped images.

Then, out of curiosity, tried to combine those two, together with one of the original camera images. No go. The Program 1 announced that it couldn't process them because they weren't all the same size. I think that was because the Program 1, in the process of re-aligning (the hand held originals) had been compelled to output all its tonemapped choices in a size slightly smaller than the originals.

That was the first lesson.

So, I used a different HDR program (Program 2) to see if it would work process them. It did - but the result was a disaster - as if the pictures had been cut into a million bits and re-assembled at random.

Finally, I tried to get the Program 1 to combine the two tonemapped pictures that it had already made. It worked. So I selected what seemed the most attractive result.

Buit it still seemed to call for more improvement so I fiddled with it some more with Photoshop - and that's what you've now seen.

The two HDR programs were EasyHDR and Photomatix but please don't ask me which was Program 1 and which was Program 3 because I've forgotten.

Perhaps Photoshop might be capable of getting nearer the result that Bynx would like, and if anybody wants to try it please feel free to do so.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 11:46 AM   #5

Photomatix is what I use, however, I vaguely remember changing that to strictly Photoshop, which gave better results.Its been a while since I last shot an HDR. I would have to look it up again and relearn the Photoshop process. But it was pretty slick as much as I do remember. Your camera gives 5 shots at once? Nice. Some higher end Nikons are capable of 9. But for that many shots a tripod is mandatory. I have shot 3 hand held which is the max my Nikon can do at a time.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2017, 6:22 PM   #6

Photomatix has had some really good updates. It is a lot more intuitive, and gives a more realistic result.

MAR's Flickr
Mugmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2017, 11:33 AM   #7

Mugmar -

That's encouraging to read. Do they extend to all versions of Photomatix?

I'm asking that because I use Photomatix for Linux.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 7:02 PM   #8

I"m not sure Herb, you'll have to check out their site for that info.

MAR's Flickr
Mugmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2017, 11:52 AM   #9

Mugmar - I've checked & found an update & have installed it. It has some new features and it's easier to use.

I very much like it - thanks for mentioning it.