Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Dec 12, 2017, 11:34 AM   #1

Default Compare?

The left hand picture is woodblock by the well known artist Matthew Messmer. I'm drawing attention to it because of the presence of poles and wires.

It made me wonder whether, as photographers, we should always be terrified of pressing the shutter if there are any poles and wires to be seen.

So I managed to come up with the picture on the right. It was in fact what led me to producing the picture on the right. Is it horrible? I think it might have been better if there had been several birds and not just one.
Attached Images

Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 12, 2017, 1:29 PM   #2

Poles and wires are a part of our environment, and, in my opinion, only to be avoided if they detract from the intent of the photograph. The art in the left hand photo is of an urban landscape, and would look odd (I hesitate to say 'unnatural') with the poles and wires left out. Your photo on the right, if it is intended to be of the 'bird on the wire' (RIP Leonard), then the man made elements are integral to it. If it is intended to be a sunset shot, it may have been improved by a different view without the pole/wires. IOW, you're the artist and it is your vision.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2017, 3:34 PM   #3

I think there is a big difference between hydro lines being an integral part of the photo and being an obstruction between the viewer and the actual image. In the image on the right I would say the image is the small bird in the middle. Without that bird the wires become just an annoyance. In your previous images Herb, the composition was not enhanced in any way by the presence of the wires. Had there been some base to the images then perhaps the wires could be part of the composition. But your image was nice sky with annoying wires. I hope Ive explained the difference adequately. While wires and poles are a part of our environment, we dont have to give them any recognition.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2017, 5:09 PM   #4

I see we're getting down to basic principles.

As Bynx says -- "While wires and poles are a part of our environment, we don't have to give them any recognition." True enough.

But we are also free to ignore them. Some people have the capacity to do that easily. Others can't. The ones who can't are (sadly) hamstrung.

De Gustandibus etc..
Old Dec 12, 2017, 8:23 PM   #5

Herb, no one can teach you composition. You can either do it or not. Keep trying though and I look forward to the day you get a breakthrough. Meanwhile, keep doing what youre doing. If it makes you happy dont let anyone, least of all me, discourage you.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 9:34 PM   #6

Looking it over, I think that I might straighten the pole, crop to its left edge, and crop the bottom so the bird is sitting on the intersection of a 'rule of thirds' composition. No need to try to make it invisible, but use it as framing.
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2017, 10:00 PM   #7

Bynx -

I reciprocate your good wishes. I hope that you too soon experience a broadening breakthrough.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 10:49 PM   #8

I hate dealing with power lines. They are distracting in a nature setting, look terribly out of place in more historical sites or structures and rarely have the symmetry to enhance a scene like the photo on the left.

I do everything I can to avoid them.
BBbuilder467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2017, 11:42 PM   #9

I'm beginning to conclude the this guy's posts are deliberate provocations, since little of the advice that I have seen offered have been incorporated. Count me out, thank you.
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2017, 1:45 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter C View Post
I'm beginning to conclude the this guy's posts are deliberate provocations, since little of the advice that I have seen offered have been incorporated. Count me out, thank you.
Well said Walter. Thats a ditto for me.