Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Dec 25, 2017, 12:57 PM   #1

Default Merry Christmas to you all

This is my favorite spot to check the effects of HDR, so it can certainly be called a bit Old Hat, but it's not as inappropriate as the Malapropism "deja vous" which has educated Canadians either grinding their teeth or rolling on the floor laughing!

Photomatix has an optional function to remove ghosts and it seems to have worked quite well on the Shaw Cable T.V. Yule Log.

If you click on the picture, I think it will reduce the size. There is an actual fire burning in a closed stove to the left, but I suggest the T.V. evoked the sense of warmth and cheer more effectively?
Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 25, 2017, 1:58 PM   #2

This is a good HDR with the different light sources. Was this hand held? Whats with the double chair and lamps on the right side? There seems to be something going on that I think can be fixed? Would you mind posting the files you used to make this?

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year Herb, to you and yours.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2017, 4:01 PM   #3

No, it was taken with a tripod. I certainly see you point about the chair and lampshades. The double chair effect may be an optical illusion caused by the assortment of head and neck cushions and the two lampshades are distracting. So I've cropped a fair hunk of the picture out.

I think I've identified the component pictures and I'll post them separately.
Attached Images

Old Dec 25, 2017, 4:12 PM   #4

Now for the component pictures. I think they're the right ones, but my camera has a mind of it's own and doesn't always record the requested 5 images. In this case the 4 looked the most likely candidates. They're a much smaller size than the originals to prevent the file being quite enormous.

As you can see, they all differ from the final picture because I used Photoshop to correct the perspective & make the verticals line up.
Attached Images

Old Dec 25, 2017, 9:11 PM   #5

When I shoot HDR using a tripod all the images are identical pixel for pixel with the only difference being the light value according to the fstop used. Manual focus must be used because auto focus doesnt work and can refocus on different spots for each fstop used. When you lined the verticals up, this was the last thing you did AFTER you made the HDR image, right? This is a pretty good HDR as I previously stated. Unfortunately I had to use what was available but it looks really good to me.
Attached Images

Last edited by Bynx; Dec 25, 2017 at 9:16 PM.
Old Dec 25, 2017, 11:17 PM   #6

Bynx

You've certainly produced a first rate result from the four pictures that I posted.

I hadn't been aware that the focus point can vary among the shots in an HDR series unless it's set manually. I'm grateful to you for mentioning it. I'm going to go through the manuals for my various cameras to check on their differences if any in how to do it.

You mention that your HDR pictures taken on a tripod are identical pixel for pixel. Wow. I guess the tripod must be very solid indeed.

Incidentally hope nobody thinks my having several cameras is extravagance. They are all in fact quite old and cost very little.
Old Dec 25, 2017, 11:55 PM   #7

When you pay 2 or 3 hundred dollars for a tripod it better be stable and not wobble around. If you shoot auto focus then each shot the camera sensor might lock onto a different spot causing the lens to zoom in and out with each shot. Going manual you just focus on what you want then shoot. Of course in your room setting your fstop will be at least f8 to f16 to get maximum depth of field. The shutter speed shouldnt matter how long it is since the camera is on a stable tripod. Each shot should be the equivalent of one fstop or 1.5 fstop depending on the light and how much contrast there is. There was a fair bit of image cropping so I could get all four images to overlap correctly so they lined up. I just used ghosting around the tv.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 12:54 PM   #8

It gets more & more interesting.

My two Olympus cameras seem to have overcome the need to manually focus each HDR shot separately because their manuals both say -

"BKT - Takes pictures sequentially while changing the exposure for each frame. Focus and white balance are locked at the first frame."

On the other hand I didn't find any similar statement in the other cameras' manuals.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 5:33 PM   #9

You dont manually focus each shot. You should be using manual focus so each shot is using the same focus. It seems your one camera does this. So its weird how your original shot has so much distortion in two directions. If the top of the pic is North and the bottom is South, the right side is East and the left side is West, then in the photo the white carpet fringe is moving south and slightly east. While the carpet near the chair arm is moving East. The clock on the tv box has doubled, moving south for the second one. But the globe has no shift at all. Also the propane torch has no movement at all. Yet right below it the white hollow tube has shifted south. The top corner and the door edge is sharp with no movement. This is one strange HDR. All this movement would not happen if a tripod was used.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 8:58 PM   #10

Bynx,

I'm afraid that the strange distortions are probably the result of my taking several sets of shots - quite likely having moved the tripod a bit between one or other set - and then putting them all into one file. And then accidentally combining photos from one set with photos from another.

I'm resolving that in future I will give each set it's own separate file.

P.S. After looking at the original picture for several minutes I've seen several more anomalies & I think they confirm my diagnosis. The most amazing thing though is the extent to which Photomatix rose to the challenge.

Maybe the original picture could be used as a Photographers' parlour game - "Draw a circle round every anomaly in this picture that you can find in 1 minute."?

Last edited by Herb; Dec 26, 2017 at 11:36 PM. Reason: further examination