Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Mar 1, 2005, 9:13 PM   #11

Just for Rodney - here's one that doesn't involve the nostrils...
Attached Images

Arizona_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2005, 12:29 AM   #12

hello stephen, the most wonderful mate a women could dream of having! i think you did a wonderful job in capturing the beautiful skies of Arizona. i kind of like the inner nose shot, it adds a view which photographers are so often avoiding, daring sort of photographer you are. keep up the good work!
Old Mar 2, 2005, 1:50 AM   #13

Arizona_Steve wrote:
Quote:
Well, my apology but this comment made my day! I looked at Rodney's comment about the nostril, and I knew right away (from some of my attempts) that this shot might just be impossible to get any other way. In the mountains I have experimented with this because looking up gives the impression that you are way up high, and I think it's a good shot to try to get. I chuckled to myself and said, the only way to get that without a nose shot is to shoot the back side of her head! I try to get that shot rightfrom time to time whenmy son and I golf up at the cabin. (only if he's in the mood to be patient) and this is as close as I've come. (ya, I know, keep trying...) But, I like Steve's better. Next time I try this I'll try his angle, it seems to work! Better illusion of hieght. Thanks and best regards,

KennethD
And of course I do realize now that a little fill flash in my shot would have made a difference. Steve's shot plainly shows that. I have the benefit of newb status, so I feel allowed to display my shots as is. :GI also meant to point out that in terrain like that, moving back to change the angle to allow for a better background shot, can result in a nasty tumble if you're not careful. (I just have a little limp...but my camera's ok)
Attached Images

KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2005, 5:00 AM   #14

Arizona_Steve wrote:
Quote:
LOL...I know you are just trying to be funny, but it's a great shot!

Rodney
RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2005, 5:32 AM   #15

Quote:
KENNETHD wrote:

Well, my apology but this comment made my day! I looked at Rodney's comment about the nostril, and I knew right away (from some of my attempts) that this shot might just be impossible to get any other way. In the mountains I have experimented with this because looking up gives the impression that you are way up high, and I think it's a good shot to try to get. I chuckled to myself and said, the only way to get that without a nose shot is to shoot the back side of her head! I try to get that shot right from time to time when my son and I golf up at the cabin. (only if he's in the mood to be patient) and this is as close as I've come. (ya, I know, keep trying...) But, I like Steve's better. Next time I try this I'll try his angle, it seems to work! Better illusion of hieght. Thanks and best regards,

KennethD
And of course I do realize now that a little fill flash in my shot would have made a difference. Steve's shot plainly shows that. I have the benefit of newb status, so I feel allowed to display my shots as is. :GI also meant to point out that in terrain like that, moving back to change the angle to allow for a better background shot, can result in a nasty tumble if you're not careful. (I just have a little limp...but my camera's ok)
It takes a lot of practice to master posing. In Steve's example, the solution is quite simple. His wife could have rotated her head toward the lens more for a good 2/3 facial view and tilted her head down toward the lens slightly. This would have also presented the viewer with a less static image. The wife's cheekbones would have looked nicer, and her lips would look more shapely. My comment is a basic posing rule for Steve to remember. He has a beautiful subject to practice on so why shouldn't he exploit her nice features? Rules may be broken, but are most effective when it is planned and you make it work with the scene. Where did steve fail here? The viewer doesn't get the feeling he is below shooting up. Why? Look at the horizon in his example. If he had gotten lower, this angle would have been more effective and given the viewer the feeling of height.

The shot of your son is quite nice. Fill flash isn't what you need, however. It appears to be an overcast day which means you have plenty of diffused light. Large amounts of diffused light softens shadows so what you really need are specular highlights.

If you'll learn to properly expose your images, you'll see them come alive. Here, the image is under exposed. Even without specular highlights, this is a nice image and can be pulled up to proper exposure with a curves adjustment.

If your camera allows exposure compensation adjustments, you'll benefit by learning to use it.

Rodney
Old Mar 2, 2005, 9:04 AM   #16

BTW, that comment after the second picture was written by Marie (using my ID). It definitely looks a little weird. I might set her up as Mrs_Arizona_Steve some time today...

She likes to photograph her family, but for some strange reason clings to the idea that her cell phone will somehow produce great pictures. How do I go about weaning her off this monstrosity? (and no, I cannot afford a D2x right now so that I can give her my D70).
Old Mar 2, 2005, 9:32 AM   #17

Arizona_Steve wrote:
Quote:
BTW, that comment after the second picture was written by Marie (using my ID). It definitely looks a little weird. I might set her up as Mrs_Arizona_Steve some time today...
That is a smart idea. You don't want us here to think you are a crazy man who chats with himself. :blah:

Rodney
Old Mar 2, 2005, 10:58 PM   #18

Another one I found while looking through my many files. For those detractors who say you cannot get a sharp image out of a D70, I say the problem lies with the photographer and not the camera.

There is something hypnotic about the eyes in this picture. But then again I might be biased...

D70, Kit lens, 46mm, 1/640 @ f/4.5.

I reduced the picture to a reasonable size for the forum. No sharpening, no exposure compensation, no nothing. Exactly as it came out of the camera.
Attached Images

Old Mar 3, 2005, 12:13 AM   #19

i really like this picture of this pretty girl with the Q-Tip hat on. Could you possibly ask here where she go the cool hat? I just have to have one. Regarding the photograph, i am appreciating the blurred background, the picture is toally focused on the subject, really enjoy this photo, good job to the photographer!
Mrs_Arizona_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2005, 1:46 AM   #20

Mrs_Arizona_Steve wrote:
Quote:
i really like this picture of this pretty girl with the Q-Tip hat on. Could you possibly ask here where she go the cool hat? I just have to have one. Regarding the photograph, i am appreciating the blurred background, the picture is toally focused on the subject, really enjoy this photo, good job to the photographer!
Indepenant of the technical brilliance, this is the type of picture that made my winter pass so quickly. This lady is obviously looking at something that has captured her attention.The photographer's bias is justified. Best regards,

KennethD

A few more, if you please...Spring is just around the corner, and the time will go by much quicker browsing thru posts like this.
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote