Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Mar 2, 2005, 10:17 AM   #1

A recent thread started by Arizona_Steve made me think it will be a good idea for a thread where we share our on-camera or hotshoe mounted flash pictures and the techniques we used. I hope others will join in and share their on camera flash techniques.

Here, I've decided to shoot outdoors at night using flash. The first thing that come to mind is that I didn't need something behind the subject for a distracting outline of the subject to cast onto. I didn't want my subject to look like he was floating in space either so I also needed to find an area that has something lighted in the background. Objects lighted by the moon or city lights will work nicely. Here, I was lucky and found some trees with spotlights on them.

After I had decided on an area to take my shot, it was time to work out a pose. I decided on this pose because it prevents the subject from casting shadows on himself. Now it's time to figure out the exposure.

Setting the exposure for the flash was easy. I wanted to use aperture f/3.5 to blur the background so I set my flash accordingly. I used my camera meter to determine what shutter speed I needed to properly expose the brightest area in the background and 1/60s is the reading I decided on.

Here you have my idea of a candid snapshot. :-)

Rodney

RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 2, 2005, 10:38 AM   #2

Nicely done, Rodney. This is just a snapshot under the Xmas tree, so no posing involved (unless you count my post-processing :lol: ).
My daughter and niece. The LR here is fairly dim, but I didn't want sharp shadows so I was bouncing the flash off the cream-colored ceiling; post-processing mostly involved a bit of push-me-pull-you to get their faces to "float" a bit.

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2005, 10:47 AM   #3

Nice use of your flash, Norm. It turned out great! Nice soft lighting on the faces, tree detail is there and the subtle tree lights look great and make it interesting.

Rodney
Old Mar 2, 2005, 3:25 PM   #4

I was on a group shoot in Ft. Payne, AL (Sock capital of the World...& home of the guys in the group "ALABAMA"). We had the run of a second & third floor of an old downtown sock warehouse. I shot this on the 2nd floor in front of an old freight elevator (that was full of dead pigeons, oddly enough). There were windows all around the room but the light where we were was very dim.

I shot this with a Minolta 7i on a tripod with me hand-holding a Vivitar 285HV. It was set at 1/2 power & connected via a PC-Sync cord. I held it out slightly to my right & just over my head. The flash was bounced off of a Lumiquest Pocket-Bouncer. I placed a cheap Quantaray slave flash in the door of the elevator directly behind the model (facing rearward so it would light the brick wall behind her). Focused on her eyes & shot at f4.0. Model is Janna, 16 at the time...

Old Mar 2, 2005, 4:27 PM   #5

Kalypso wrote:
Quote:
I was on a group shoot in Ft. Payne, AL (Sock capital of the World...& home of the guys in the group "ALABAMA"). We had the run of a second & third floor of an old downtown sock warehouse. I shot this on the 2nd floor in front of an old freight elevator (that was full of dead pigeons, oddly enough). There were windows all around the room but the light where we were was very dim.

I shot this with a Minolta 7i on a tripod with me hand-holding a Vivitar 285HV. It was set at 1/2 power & connected via a PC-Sync cord. I held it out slightly to my right & just over my head. The flash was bounced off of a Lumiquest Pocket-Bouncer. I placed a cheap Quantaray slave flash in the door of the elevator directly behind the model (facing rearward so it would light the brick wall behind her). Focused on her eyes & shot at f4.0. Model is Janna, 16 at the time...
WOW! Great looking shot. If you hadn't told me, I'd not known flash was used. Thanks for sharing the set-up with us.

Rodney
Old Mar 2, 2005, 4:52 PM   #6

Looks like I might have an assignment for the next few days. I'll see what I can come up with (although I'm hampered by the fact that the Mrs. is in Colorado selling the house for the next couple of weeks).
Arizona_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2005, 5:24 PM   #7

Arizona_Steve wrote:
Quote:
Looks like I might have an assignment for the next few days. I'll see what I can come up with (although I'm hampered by the fact that the Mrs. is in Colorado selling the house for the next couple of weeks).
Can't you find a stand-in? :idea:
Old Mar 2, 2005, 6:12 PM   #8

This ones kind'a different...don't know if it counts because I had moved the flash off camera. Anyway, we were shooting (prior to opening for dinner) in an upscale restaurant in downtown Birmingham, AL.

I placed my Vivitar 285HV on a table to her front left (the next table past the corner of the one you can see). It was set at 3/4 power, pointing upwards with a Lumiquest Pocket Softbox on it. It was set off with an attached Wein Peanut and a Interfit Infrared trigger on the hotshoe of my Canon D30. I was positioned another 6ft behind the flash & shooting from a tripod.

Here's the EXIF info:

2004:02:04 18:12:12
28-105mm @ 65mm
Subject dist: 3.90m
0.3 sec, f/4
Mode: Manual
Metering: Center-weighted average
ISO: 100
AF mode: One-shot AF
Drive: Continuous: frame 1
White balance: Daylight
Flash: Off
File size: 143KB
Image size: 532 x 700
Saturation: Normal
Sharpness: High
Contrast: Normal
Old Mar 2, 2005, 6:52 PM   #9

Ok, you are beginning to make me sick! LOL The shot is wonderful. I'm gonna try a similar set-up and see what I come up with. Can I cheat and carry a big softbox with me? hehe

Rodney
Old Mar 2, 2005, 7:10 PM   #10

Lol...thanks! I was just improvising on the fly & have always seemed to be pretty lucky doing it. I studied a lot of film photography books before I ever started shooting...guess some of it stuck. I know I'm no professional, but I like what I do.