Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Mar 3, 2005, 6:16 AM   #1

A recent shot using large softbox for key and fill is bounced from umbrella high above the camera. Comments and suggestions always appreciated.

RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 3, 2005, 11:24 AM   #2

Very nice work, I also perused you web site and it looks great.

Only thing that sort of disturbers me about this shotis the direction of his eyes, almost look like they are rolling up under his eyelids.

Peter.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2005, 2:18 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Hmm, I'm not so keen on this one.

I find the background quite distracting and the pose a bit awkward, and I agree with Peter about the eyes.

Better than 90% of the stuff one sees on calendars, but your work is generally of an extremely high standard and I don't think this one is quite up there with the rest.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2005, 4:55 PM   #4

Overall, the quality is acceptable, but as a red blooded male, I'd prefer to see your efforts expended on posting something female (for a change...you know, a little variety) try giving Kalypso or Frank a run for their money! It's obvious you've mastered the male model. Best regards,

KennethD
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2005, 5:39 PM   #5

What's wrong with the male form, nice for a change!

The female form has gotten me into far too much trouble over the years.

Peter.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2005, 6:33 PM   #6

KENNETHD wrote:
Quote:
Overall, the quality is acceptable, but as a red blooded male, I'd prefer to see your efforts expended on posting something female (for a change...you know, a little variety) try giving Kalypso or Frank a run for their money! It's obvious you've mastered the male model. Best regards,

KennethD
Variety is exactyl what I bring to this forum. Why would I want to share images of pretty women to only hear comments about how pretty the subject is?? I'd rather the discussion be about my skill as a photographer and by sharing only images of males that is exactly what I get.

I'm shooting dozens of Easter Portraits over the next few weeks. I could share images of cute little children, but then the topic would be how cute the child is.

In the beginning I did share images of women only to find myself swamped with emails from dirty old men begging me to share more.

I'm not out to give anyone a run for their money. I'm here to learn from them and hopefully they will learn something from me too.

Best regards,
Rodney
Old Mar 3, 2005, 6:36 PM   #7

peripatetic wrote:
Quote:
Hmm, I'm not so keen on this one.

I find the background quite distracting and the pose a bit awkward, and I agree with Peter about the eyes.

Better than 90% of the stuff one sees on calendars, but your work is generally of an extremely high standard and I don't think this one is quite up there with the rest.
Thanks for the comments. The background here is a post trick suggested by another photographer for a similar image. It doesn't work for me either because I don't care for post manipulation of backgrounds.

Rodney
Old Mar 3, 2005, 6:41 PM   #8

PeterP wrote:
Quote:
Very nice work, I also perused you web site and it looks great.

Only thing that sort of disturbers me about this shot is the direction of his eyes, almost look like they are rolling up under his eyelids.

Peter.
Thank you, Peter. I wanted to see more whites of the eyes for this shot...It looks better in larger print. Of course, it doesn't work at as well as I imagined it would. LOL

Thanks for reminding me that rolling the eyes up may not be the best idea. :-)

Rodney
Old Mar 3, 2005, 7:07 PM   #9

RodneyBlair wrote:
Quote:
KENNETHD wrote:
Quote:

KennethD
Variety is exactyl what I bring to this forum. Why would I want to share images of pretty women to only hear comments about how pretty the subject is?? I'd rather the discussion be about my skill as a photographer and by sharing only images of males that is exactly what I get.

I'm shooting dozens of Easter Portraits over the next few weeks. I could share images of cute little children, but then the topic would be how cute the child is.

In the beginning I did share images of women only to find myself swamped with emails from dirty old men begging me to share more.

I'm not out to give anyone a run for their money. I'm here to learn from them and hopefully they will learn something from me too.

Best regards,
Rodney
Oh Rodney...!

I'll bet you tell that to all the boys.:lol:I love your humor. I like to see someone who says he'scapable of doing more than one trick, do all the tricks. Sort of like going to hear Guns 'n Roses in concert and all they do is play the same song over and over and over. No matter how much you like the song, eventually even to the most ardent fan, it becomes...boring. I was hoping you'd post a variety to see if your interpretation sheds any light (no pun intended) on the kind of models I prefer. I learn a lot and get a lot of inspiration seeing that sort of thing. I've never contemplated shooting male portraits in a serious way, and after reading volumes of your comments, I'd hoped to see this talent in subjects that I'd appreciate more. I know you've critiqued many other types of posts where all kinds of models are presented. I hoped you would be kind enough to show me some of this knowledge in action. No insult intended. I'd seriously like to see some easter portraits! Best regards,

KennethD
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2005, 8:12 PM   #10

KENNETHD wrote:
Quote:

KennethD

Oh come on Kenneth:-)Ive been surfing this site for ages and seen hundreds of boobs in tubes and the female form has had pretty much the full run of people photos, Ive seen more photos of "Jess" than I can remember (nothing wrong with that, Jess is a lovely model) but up until Rodney started posting, very few artistic male shots to look at, Now as a red blooded woman, I think Im afforded the same chance to view these very nice male models being posted. as much as you guys have enjoed the other sex:-)
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote