Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Mar 5, 2005, 10:15 AM   #11

It's good fun this Photoshop malarkey. The hardest thing doing this is the selection of the part of the image you want to make stand out.

Anyway, open the image, duplicate the layer, I just press ctrl + J, then select the part of the image you want to appear to stand out using whichever selection technique you prefer. My weapon of choice in this case was the Magic Lasso. With your selection active, right click inside the selection and choose Layer via Copy. Next, create a new fill layer, Layer/New Fill Layer/Solid Color. Choose your color. Now discard your original Background layer and drag the fill layer to the bottom of the layers palette. Now you should have from the top, Layer 2, Layer 1, Color Fill Layer. Make Layer 1 active as this is the layer we will now have fun with. Go to Edit/Transform/Distort. Stretch your canvas a little to get at the grab handles easier. Now, using the one I made earlier, (for all you Blue Peter fans -OK, this might only have relevance in the U.K.),as an example, 'grab' the top right corner and drag it in to the image, then do the same with the top left. Position it where you think it looks good but take notice of thetop Layer.Depending on the final position may mean you need to clone/heal some of that away. You canavoid a lot of this with your positioning. Eg, I had toerase outparts of Ross's shoulders from the borders. Hope I've explained this properly. If I have..........have fun.

It can also be done with PSE3. Don't know about PSE2, though I would think it can.

Stevekin.

Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2005, 10:39 AM   #12

my opinion would be that if we took the time to think about the shot before it was taken. there wouldn't have been a whole lot of photoshop work to be done.

when i shoot, i do take a couple of pictures and just choose one i feel stands out from the rest.

that being said, i like the 2nd and the last picture. the 2nd was cropped nicely. i think the background could have been blurred a bit more.
the last, good pose but i don't like the cropping. crossing his arms like that makes me think he might be cold instead of going for the cool look.

berto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2005, 10:48 AM   #13

berto wrote:
Quote:
my opinion would be that if we took the time to think about the shot before it was taken. there wouldn't have been a whole lot of photoshop work to be done.

when i shoot, i do take a couple of pictures and just choose one i feel stands out from the rest.

that being said, i like the 2nd and the last picture. the 2nd was cropped nicely. i think the background could have been blurred a bit more.
the last, good pose but i don't like the cropping. crossing his arms like that makes me think he might be cold instead of going for the cool look.
I've never seen a digital image that didn't need some type of post work. Also, when framing an image, you want to leave enough room for cropping. You can't select 5x7 or 8x10 crops.

I do agree that the better the image is out of camera, the less post work that is needed and the better it will be.

Rodney
RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2005, 11:00 AM   #14

berto wrote:
Quote:

Bear in mind aladyforty's comments about restricted time allowed with her subject.

But I agree with you, if only I took the time I'm sure I would have many more keepers prior to PP. But I don't half enjoy PS even when I'm climbing the wall. :-)

Stevekin.
Old Mar 5, 2005, 12:19 PM   #15

steve, I tried but did not get it:roll:
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2005, 12:23 PM   #16

Firstly, what are you using, PS or PSE ?
Old Mar 5, 2005, 12:27 PM   #17

photoshop 7
Old Mar 5, 2005, 12:35 PM   #18

I'll be with you very soon.

Old Mar 5, 2005, 12:50 PM   #19

hope so, its 3am here and "Ross" has to picked up from the After ball party, ahhhh the joys of children:-)
Old Mar 5, 2005, 1:08 PM   #20

Sorry, I'm about 8 hours behind you. I'll start off but if you have rush off or go to bed I won't think you are ignoring me.

Step 1 Open your image (already called Background)

Step 2 Press and hold thectrl key, then press the J key. (this is a layer via copy called layer 1)

Step 3 Select Ross using the Magic Lasso Tool, when the marching ants are joined together, right click the mouse anywhere inside the selection. From the options click on Layer via Cut. This will give you Layer 2

Step 4 Go to the top of the screen and click on Layer, then New Fill Layer and choose Solid Color. This should show a box called Color Fill 1. Click ok and the color palette should then appear. Choose your color, click ok.

You should hopefully have a screen resembling this one. If you have we will carry on if not we'll try to see where either of us has gone wrong.