Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Mar 5, 2005, 7:37 AM   #1

Ok, these are quick shots allowed me by my 16 year old today just before he left for the high school ball. I had 2 minutes to snap these off and had problems with getting the exposure on the white suit right. As I have mentioned before my boys hate being photographed so I count myself lucky:-) I wanted some of my own shots even though apro photographer will be there. Ive done some editing but if anyone can think of something else I could do to improve I what I already have done feel free to advise me.

all shot with the rebel and kit lens 18-55, some on auto, some on portrait mode (he was rushing me)

aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 5, 2005, 8:14 AM   #2

Nice son. His tie is crooked, though.:-)

I think the background does not fit with his suit or his face. A darker shade of green, or another colour altogether may work better, IMHO.

And with the Rebel's capabilities, you could have done better, maybe increasing the depth of field (by increasing the aperture - something I learned only recently) to makehim stand out from the background.

The b/w does not show good contrast.

His pose in the last photo does not work, IMHO. Perhaps you can try photographing him while he's doing something like holding a ball or kicking a gate.

Those are my thoughts.
Mockingbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2005, 8:21 AM   #3

All of these are quite nice considering the conditions you've mentioned. You've done well at not blowing the highlight, I've picked one that I will comment on and hopefully others will critique others.

The hint of his left hand doesn't do much for this image and also, since it is relatively close-up, the extra background space doesn't do much for the overall image.

I would have liked to have seen him a bit more tidy with the shirt colar adjusted correctly, but it certainly doesn't ruin the image.

If you chould have elevated yourself by standing up on something or asked your son to get lower, the facial angle would have been more flattering.

For demonstration purposes, I've edited the image I refer to. I've cropped and given it a bit more contrast and increased the yellow and red channels to give it a warmer feel. I selectively desharpened the background a tad and also darkened it slightly.

You actually have some nice shots of your son. Work with them and see what you come up with. I think you'll be quite proud of what you have.

Rodney
Attached Images

RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2005, 9:50 AM   #4

I have nothing to say other than nice pics aladyforty, but I did take Ross to one side once RodneyBlair had finished with him and showed him how to knot his tie and tuck his collar in.

Stevekin.

Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2005, 9:51 AM   #5

Thanks for the Ideas. Rodney your version really made it easy to see where I was going wrong in the editing. I have played around with these four and they are not perfect (probably never will be) I have to look at the rest when I have more time. Im pretty happy to have got them anyway, son has said that he is unlikely to pose for me anytime before he is in his 20s. He is just 16:-)

Old Mar 5, 2005, 9:54 AM   #6

Stevekin wrote:
Quote:
I have nothing to say other than nice pics aladyforty, but I did take Ross to one side once RodneyBlair had finished with him and showed him how to knot his tie and tuck his collar in.

Stevekin.

THanks, now why did I not think of that before I finished editing
Old Mar 5, 2005, 10:26 AM   #7

Is the background less distracting now do you think ? Or does it ruin the shot altogether ? I'm just playing at the moment, so any slapped wrists coming my way...........I'll just put my gloves on.

Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2005, 10:31 AM   #8

I just noticed the sepia toned image. It looks quite nice and I'd like to point out the facial angle here. In this image, you've captured a 2/3 facial view.

A 2/3 facial view is when you capture the front of the face and one side. A common mistake we make with this facial angle is to get a hint of the ear on the hidden side of the face, but you've done well to avoid it here.

The 2/3 view is a more flattering angle for your son as is with most people. Here again, a higher camera angle would have been a bit more flattering.

Rodney
Old Mar 5, 2005, 10:39 AM   #9

Stevekin wrote:
Quote:
Is the background less distracting now do you think ? Or does it ruin the shot altogether ? I'm just playing at the moment, so any slapped wrists coming my way...........I'll just put my gloves on.

Neat edit, Stevekin. All things considered, I don't think the background in the origianal is such a distraction. If it is darker, the suit will be the center of interest. If brighter, the dark shirt will be the center of interest. Although, not the perfect background choice, I think it is a nice contrast and the face becomes the mid tones. The hair and dark shirt frame the face nicely in this bright scene. IMHO If you stand back from your monitor, you'll see what I mean.

Rodney

Old Mar 5, 2005, 10:41 AM   #10

Stevekin wrote:
Quote:

HOW DID YOU DO THAT?????