Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Mar 5, 2005, 12:01 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 182
Default

Hello, I'm new to this "part" of the forum, I reside over at the Fuij Forom though. =o) I've been shooting for just under 6 months, getting ready for the birth of my daughter who was born 1 1/2 months ago. =o) She's perfect...

But the question is about an impromtue photoshoot I had yesterday.

Here's my favorite shot : http://quantumdefect.com/tlmiller10/megan/megan4.jpg

Here's the rest of them...

http://quantumdefect.com/tlmiller10/megan/


All shots were done on Priority Mode at 160 ISO on my Fuji Finepix s602z. I am asking for advice, critiques, tips, anything constructive you have to say. I've never taken "real" portraits of anyone... and I did these for a friend and collegue of mine at College who wanted them for her husband.

I hope some of good enough for this crowd. =o)

Tim Miller
tlmiller10

TnT Designs
tlmiller10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 5, 2005, 12:28 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
RodneyBlair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 966
Default

tlmiller10 wrote:
Quote:
Hello, I'm new to this "part" of the forum, I reside over at the Fuij Forom though. =o) I've been shooting for just under 6 months, getting ready for the birth of my daughter who was born 1 1/2 months ago. =o) She's perfect...

But the question is about an impromtue photoshoot I had yesterday.

Here's my favorite shot : http://quantumdefect.com/tlmiller10/megan/megan4.jpg

Here's the rest of them...

http://quantumdefect.com/tlmiller10/megan/


All shots were done on Priority Mode at 160 ISO on my Fuji Finepix s602z. I am asking for advice, critiques, tips, anything constructive you have to say. I've never taken "real" portraits of anyone... and I did these for a friend and collegue of mine at College who wanted them for her husband.

I hope some of good enough for this crowd. =o)

Tim Miller
tlmiller10

TnT Designs
Tim,

Megan4 is my favorite also. I'm curious if you remember how far you were from her when shooting this. When shooting in a setting as you have here, the background should be more out of focus unless you were standing a good distance from the subject. I'm thinking you want to be within 10' of the subject when not at full tele on the s602 and you can be within 20' at full tele position, but the background needs to be around 10' from the subject.

You may find it helpful to take an object and shoot it from a variety of distances to see the effect this has on the background. I quickly ran out to take a picture of a lamp post to test this and at full tele I could move close enough to get the post in the frame and have the background out of focus. Do you understand my babble here? hehe

I'll have more comments after I've had time to look at all the images.

Thank you for sharing.

Rodney
RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2005, 12:32 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 182
Default

I do understand what you're saying. =o) I did not have the "zoom" to back off, as I wanted to keep the detail levels as high as I could. I tried to focus on the eyes in some shots, and the face in others.

I can't wait for the full critique...

Or can I? *smile*

-tlmiller10

Main question, are these good enough to impress and surprise a her husband witha late valentine's day present. And good enough to possibly start a portfolio?

-tlmiller10
tlmiller10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2005, 1:30 PM   #4
Member
 
TMacaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 41
Default

Tim,
Try to arrange to take this type of 'outdoor' shot very late in the day, just before or just after the sun sets. Use the building or trees or ... such that direct sunlight is not hitting your subject or the immediate surroundings. Now you can position her with the brighter light source (sky) providing the Main light on one side, and the building, trees, etc. giving you contrast on the other. You can move your subject closer to .. or further from .. the 'shading object' to get the effect you prefer. Your #4 image is attractive in many ways but, better to reposition such that the sun is behind the building, the wall is less distracting because of the darker shading, and you can obtain better contrast from one side of your subject to the other.
Sometimes the required pic does not allow you this discretion, but insist on it when you can.

Regards,
TMc
TMacaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2005, 2:53 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 182
Default

TMacaw wrote:
Quote:
Tim,
Try to arrange to take this type of 'outdoor' shot very late in the day, just before or just after the sun sets. Use the building or trees or ... such that direct sunlight is not hitting your subject or the immediate surroundings. Now you can position her with the brighter light source (sky) providing the Main light on one side, and the building, trees, etc. giving you contrast on the other. You can move your subject closer to .. or further from .. the 'shading object' to get the effect you prefer. Your #4 image is attractive in many ways but, better to reposition such that the sun is behind the building, the wall is less distracting because of the darker shading, and you can obtain better contrast from one side of your subject to the other.
Sometimes the required pic does not allow you this discretion, but insist on it when you can.

Regards,
TMc
Thank you for the tips sir. =o) And the compliment as well. Like I said, this is my first ever shoot, and it wasn't planned, and we didn't have much time. =o) Do you think she'll be happy with the shots?

-tlmiller10
tlmiller10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2005, 3:23 PM   #6
Member
 
TMacaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 41
Default

I think she will see pleasing images of herself and be more intent on those issues than the negatives. You got very close on #9, but the backgrounds interfere with the images on most.
I have no doubt that you will be far more aware of these issues next time.
TMc
TMacaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2005, 12:06 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 182
Default

TMacaw wrote:
Quote:
I think she will see pleasing images of herself and be more intent on those issues than the negatives. You got very close on #9, but the backgrounds interfere with the images on most.
I have no doubt that you will be far more aware of these issues next time.
TMc
Thanks again for the tips and advice...

I changed megan2.jpg, check it out now...

http://www.quantumdefect.com/tlmiller10/megan2.jpg

Is that better, if you don't know, there used to be a trash can on the right side of the scene.

Gotta love the clone brush.

-tlmiller10
tlmiller10 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:05 PM.