Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Mar 6, 2005, 1:21 PM   #11
Super Moderator

There is a way of faking it with levels - I'll do a bit of research and see what I can come up with.

In the meantime I went out again this morning to see if I could improve the shot, keeping the comments here in mind.

This is what I came up with.

Actually it seems to lose a lot by resizing down to a format suitable for this page, if 1024 is too big for your monitors then please excuse me, but it seems to be the lowest resolution that does the detail in the picture any justice at all.

This one was with a tripod at ISO100. I haven't framed it because then you'll lose more of the picture, but a frame does help to show it off.

I have a shot with no people in it, but actually I think the couple in the shot really help to give it some scale. There is now a lot more detail in the grass, and sharpening hasn't introduced too much noise. Also the exposure on the building is much better and shows more detail I think. I have shown less of the foreground and more of the trees which I think helps.

I'm sure it could get better still, but I was fairly happy with the first picture and I think this one is better all round.

What do you think?
Attached Images

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2005, 2:15 PM   #12

I like this much better

An idea I'll throw out...you could fake a neutral density filter by creating a curves adjustment layer & selecting Screen as the blending mode. Adjust your curves to bring out the bottom detail (don't worry about the highlighs being blown out). Choose your Linear Gradient tool & select black to white mode...Activate the curves adjustment layer mask & drag the gradient top to bottom until you get the right mix. You can do multiple gradient drags which should find the right transition.
Old Mar 6, 2005, 7:42 PM   #13

Much improved! I had trouble making comment on the original post because it did not elicit any positive response when I just viewed it objectively. This one has interest, the emphasis is clear, the surrounding landscape has meaning and relevance, and the couple provides a desired link to the viewer and a sense of peacefulness. Amazing what these changes add .... for me ...
Thanks.
Tom B. (TMc)
TMacaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2005, 7:55 PM   #14

I think the new image is much better. If you print both versions and place beside each other on a wall you'll see the second attempt is more effective. You've created just enough interest at the bottom of the frame to keep the viewer's attention.

Congrats!

Rodney
RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2005, 8:11 PM   #15

hmm...i like the first one better...

you capture the sweeping lawn very nicely...

btw...can we set a guideline to have images 600 pixels longest side? i can't see the whole thing without scrolling, and it's tougher to comment on the composition when you have to scroll...

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2005, 8:22 PM   #16

photosbyvito wrote:
Quote:
hmm...i like the first one better...

you capture the sweeping lawn very nicely...

btw...can we set a guideline to have images 600 pixels longest side? i can't see the whole thing without scrolling, and it's tougher to comment on the composition when you have to scroll...

Vito

Uh oh! We gots us a hung jury. :?

Rodney
RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2005, 8:35 PM   #17

LOL! true true...

except i'm all alone

i just like that the mansion is a bit smaller in the frame, showing more of the amazing lawn area! (i want this property lol)

i dunno...personal preference...

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2005, 11:42 PM   #18

The very idea of him having the same image very close is, by itself, interesting! I would love to see similar images done from different perspectives & seasons! What a good idea for an ongoing project!
Old Mar 7, 2005, 1:09 PM   #19

RodneyBlair wrote:
Quote:
peripatetic wrote:
Quote:
Steve,

Unfortunately I have a Canon 20D. (I never thought I'd hear myself say that :-) )

The IR filter is so good that nothing gets through. They even make a different model, only on release in Japan atm, the 20Da for astrophotography that doesn't have the filter.
Is there an IR filter action for PS?

Rodney

Don't know if there's an action that's been precreated, but FYI:

http://www.popphoto.com/article.asp?...;page_number=1
perdendosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2005, 2:12 PM   #20
Super Moderator

Kalypso wrote:
Quote:
The very idea of him having the same image very close is, by itself, interesting! I would love to see similar images done from different perspectives & seasons! What a good idea for an ongoing project!
Yeah, that's what I figured. I live across the road from a wonderful 65-hectare park with lots of excellent photo opportunities. I love walking in it with or without a camera, so it struck me as a good idea to make the park a project.

I reckon I have 10 or so decent shots to date. When it's all done (perhaps 20 or 30 really nice shots), I might even try to have a little exhibition at the park - it certainly has enough space to do that.

Vito - I'd like to live there myself, it used to belong to the Rothschilds.

Some more "Gunnersbury Park Project" photos plus some others can be found here if anyone's interested.

http://vanderwooks.blogspot.com

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote