Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Mar 6, 2005, 1:38 PM   #11

Yep, there's an infra-red blocker on the D70, but the slope of the filter is a lot gentler than the filter in many other DSLRs, allowing for infra-red photography even using the totally black Wratten 87C filters.

Even so, I have to expose for 2 seconds @ F/11, even in the midday Arizona sun.
Arizona_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2005, 6:40 PM   #12

Not to critique any of the above IR shots; I think they are all fantastic!! I am genuinely interested in trying my hand sooooo....anyone have advice for my 20D and my old Sony DSC F-707?? Greatly appreciated. I saw some reference in one of the posted links about the Sony F-707 being able....does it just need the proper IR filter?

Arizona Steve, your shot is amazing....a blend of sepia and IR.

TG
Trout Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2005, 10:30 PM   #13

Getting the white balance right is critical to good infra-red photography. The D70 can measure and set white balance if pointed at a grey card. For infra-red, this grey card happens to be any expanse of grass in full sunlight. So if your camera can measure white balance, simply put the filter onto the camera and meter off a patch of grass that is illumiated by the sun.

That sepia tone is out-of-camera. The white vegetation is a result of the white balancing above. Some things (such asMrs_Arizona_Steve's hair!) come out blue. I wonder if there is some relationship between the infra-red wavelengths and the colors that are created on my infra-red images.

DSLRs have infra-red blocking filters of varying effectiveness. Almost all will work with a Hoya R72 or Wratten 89B filter. Both filters are extremely deep red when viewed against a bright light. The Wratten 87C is a far denser filter (completely black), and may not work. Infra-red filters are not cheap, so stick with a less dense filter to start off with.

Hope this is enough to get you started. Looking forward to seeing the results.
Arizona_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2005, 3:46 PM   #14

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...92&forum_id=20
Any ideas? I thought that remote was IR. . .:?:
KM_krazy is offline   Reply With Quote