Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Mar 5, 2005, 4:13 PM   #1

Any tips on compostion or technique greatly appreciated. FZ1v2 + Hoya 72 ir filter. Did some PS stuff but don't recall exactly what I did..

NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 5, 2005, 4:44 PM   #2
Administrator

I amamazed that you could get a 2.5 second exposure with so little motion blur in the second photo (girl sitting on the bench).

Was she in this long of exposure, or was this some PS work? If she was able to sit still for so long with her leg hanging over, great work on both the photographer'sand the model's part.

I've often looked at IR Photography and thought about getting a filter for an old Coolpix 950 I still have. You're not making it easy to resist.

But, then I'd need to learn that "PS Stuff" to get them to look as nice as this. If you recall what you did, please share.

I really liked the second image.

The first andthird photos look like they've got some blown highlights, with the third photo even exhibiting what appears to be a bit of CA (orperhaps CCD Blooming) in overexposed areas. Is this caused by the need for longer exposures and limited Dynamic Range when shooting IR with a Digital Camera?

The properly exposed areas look awesome. I've always admired the look of IR, but I've never experimented with it.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2005, 4:49 PM   #3

Hello NickTrop,

Infrared photography is something I have no experience with. My first reaction is these images look very nice and colorful. At second glance, I begin to wonder what the subject is in the first image.

The second image is quite nice and I clearly see the little girl is the subject and the Center of Interest. The darker area with the branches above give me a crunched down feeling that I do not relate well to, however. Possibly cropping some of that out where it doesn't take up so much of the frame will be an improvement.

The last image I like, but find the bright yellowish highlights scattered throughout the image to be terribly stressful for my eyes. Are those elements in the original or part of the post work?

Very nice work. I'd like to see more.

Thank you for sharing.

Rodney
RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2005, 8:37 PM   #4

JimC wrote:
Quote:
I am¬*amazed that you could get a 2.5 second exposure with so little motion blur in the second photo (girl sitting on the bench). Was she in this long of exposure, or was this some PS work?¬* If she was able to sit still for so long with her leg hanging over, great work on both the photographer's¬*and the model's part.
Thank you. No PS. Just lots of sitting still. The model, my daughter, has an interest (Probably knows PS as well as I...) I explained to her about motion blur, and she "got it" and just sat nice and still for daddy. This was done with a tripod so no work on my part.

Quote:
I've often looked at IR Photography and thought about getting a filter for an old Coolpix 950 I still have. You're not making it easy to resist.
Hoya-ir72 most photographic fun you can have for about 30 bucks. If you have an ir "ready" camera, go for it. This is why I stick with the FZ1/2 over the newer ones.

Quote:
But, then I'd need to learn that "PS Stuff" to get them to look as nice as this.¬* If you recall what you did, please share.
First, you MUST set the white balance with the ir filter on. Very important, often neglected. There's a free PS action for bringing out the ir, works well sometimes, sometimes not. Here's the link (free...) http://www.outdooreyes.com/photo95.php3.

I try that first. If I don't like the results, I find autoadjust levels usually works. My "secret" is Flaming Pear's aestherize plugin. It has a random button and I found that if I press it, I get a decent result. I uses this (pretty sure) with #2. fmoore ('nother fluzi shooter) put together a nice ir tutorial in the pana forum...
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...ht=ir+tutorial
good nfo on that thread.

Quote:
I really liked the second image.
Thank you!

Quote:
The first and¬*third photos look like they've got some blown highlights, with the third photo even exhibiting what appears to be a bit of CA (or¬*perhaps CCD Blooming) in overexposed areas.¬*¬* Is this caused by the need for longer exposures and limited Dynamic Range when shooting IR with a Digital Camera?
Yes, I was trying to keep the iso down as the filter cuts you by 2 or 3 stops, which on a digicam is very limiting. I think I overdid it. Plus, I always leaned toward slow speed films, slow shutter, f5.6-f8 when playing with film. So I think I over compensated on the shutter speed side. ¬*¬*

Quote:
The properly exposed areas look awesome.¬* I've always admired the look of IR, but I've never experimented with it.
You either get it or you don't. But it's serious fun to shoot. Tricky but also surprising.

RodneyBlair wrote:
Quote:
At second glance, I begin to wonder what the subject is in the first image.
Exactly the same reaction! Shot these a while ago. Was somewhat impressed with myself, now I look back and am less than impressed. In this image the flowers compete with the pumpkins. I would not have composed this shot this way now.

Quote:
The darker area with the branches above give me a crunched down feeling that I do not relate well to, however. Possibly cropping some of that out where it doesn't take up so much of the frame will be an improvement.
I thought it added interest but I will crop it out and give it a look. Think you might have a point.

Quote:
The last image I like, but find the bright yellowish highlights scattered throughout the image to be terribly stressful for my eyes. Are those elements in the original or part of the post work?
Yes, it's post stuff. A lightning effect. That's the danger of these FX filters, you become enamored with them, but realize that they do nothing but make the image too busy. Kinda like a bad web page with too many spinning gifs.

Quote:
Very nice work. I'd like to see more. Thank you for sharing. Rodney
Oh! Thank you for giving them a look and providing valuable feedback! Much obliged.

Nick

¬*
Old Mar 6, 2005, 5:52 AM   #5
Administrator

NickTrop wrote:
Quote:
JimC wrote:

Quote:
Hoya-ir72 most photographic fun you can have for about 30 bucks. If you have an ir "ready" camera, go for it. This is why I stick with the FZ1/2 over the newer ones.
Yes... the Nikon Coolpix 950 (or other models using the Sony 2MP 1/1.8" CCD) is IR capable, and I've still got one of these cameras. Yes, I should break down and spend the 30 bucks for a filter and use this camera for IR (it spends most of the time on a shelf anymore).

Sony didn't add the stronger IR Cut (Hot Mirror) Filter until they came out with the 3MP 1/1.8" CCD.

The Minolta DiMAGE 7 is another popular choice (it had a very weak IR Cut Filter). This Minolta is one ofthe very few 5MPmodels that is good for IR (the others being the Sony DSC-F707 and DSC-F717). The later Minolta models (7i, 7hi, A1), and other non-Sony models using a Sony 5MP 2/3" CCD,have a strong IR Cut Filter, so they are not suitable.

I've often admired Daniella's IR Photography, and she used a Minolta DiMAGE 7 for a long time. You can see her IR work with the DiMAGE 7 here:

http://www.pbase.com/zylen/infrared_with_dimage_7

She has a list of IR Capable models under an IR Information Menu Choice on her web site (separate from pbase). But, she doesn't listthe Panasonic DMC-FZ1/FZ2. So, we should probably ask her to add it to the list (so that others visiting her site know that it's a choice for those that want to try this type of photography):

http://www.infrareddream.com/irinfo.html

Old Mar 6, 2005, 7:52 AM   #6

Jim,

Thanks for the comments and the nfo. Daniella's photos are simply incredible. I especially liked the photo with the fox and the winding road - a standout among standouts. I shot her a little e-mail regarding the FZ-1.

Here's a couple other ir photos I took same day as these out at a state park in PA. Critiques always welcome.

This is a ->great<- idea for a forum!

Nick

Old Mar 6, 2005, 8:04 AM   #7
Administrator

NickTrop wrote:
Quote:
Jim,

Thanks for the comments and the nfo. Daniella's photos are simply incredible. I especially liked the photo with the fox and the winding road - a standout among standouts. I shot her a little e-mail regarding the FZ-1.
LOL - I sent her an e-mail this morning, too, pointing her to this thread.

If memory serves, I thinkone of thephotos witha fox (or coyote according to her comments on pbase) made it to a magazine cover, andshe indicated thatit was added in later with PS (it was not part of the IR exposures).

Added: Yep -- that's in her pbase.com comments, too: Nature Photographer's front cover for July 2004

Quote:
Here's a couple other ir photos I took same day as these out at a state park in PA. Critiques always welcome.
Alright now, if you don't quit posting these, I'm going to have to break out a credit card and orderaHoya72IR filter for my old CP 950.

;-)

Old Mar 6, 2005, 8:13 AM   #8

NickTrop wrote:
Quote:
Jim,

I visited Daniella's site too and the images are stunning.

Quote:

This is a ->great<- idea for a forum!
Indeed, it's a great idea. I invest a great deal of my time into photography...It's my artistic outlet now that I'm too old to dance. LOL Forums as this help us develope the skills we desire.

I like this one the best of the two. Composition is good and there is no distracting elements. I'd see how it looks cropped a bit more from the left and bottom, however.

The intense blue areas in this one is a bit of a disturbance for me.

[/quote]

Thank you for sharing...Keep it coming.

Rodney
RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2005, 12:24 PM   #9

Wow! At first sight, I thought those imaged had been massaged in photoshop. They really come out of the camera like that? Wild.

I like to play around with my R72 filter from time to time. I use a D70 which is also known for taking good infra-red pictures, however the colors are far more muted than those of your camera.

Here's an example...
Attached Images

Arizona_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2005, 1:27 PM   #10

Arizona_Steve wrote:
Quote:
I use a D70 which is also known for taking good infra-red pictures, however the colors are far more muted than those of your camera.Here's an example...
Very nice! The D70 took that? That big Nikon DSLR? I thought for sure they had an ir blocker. Great camera from what I hear. Prefer them a littl smaller personally, but it's a sweet machine, 'specially if it can do ir!

Truth be told, everyone that does ir wonks with them in PS to bring out the ir. At the very least you need to auto adjust levels. If you scroll up, there's a link to a free action someone did for PS that messes with the channels.

This is an example (below) of using "brad'sIRAction. It is a macro ir experiment of a bottlecap in a crack in the sidewalk using the Raynox DCR-250 macro lens with the Hoya ir filter.

Thanks again, Jim & Rodney!

Attached Images