Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Mar 5, 2005, 8:55 PM   #1

I took tons of pictures while changing the settings and playing with the distance between my kids and the flash, the chair and the backdrop, etc. Here is what I came up with:

Soft box: to the right and slightly in front of the chair, 2 paces away

Floor lamp, light bounced off the ceiling: full power, in front and to the left of chair

Ceiling light: fluorescent

Camera: about 8 feet away, Canon Rebel

Settings:

ISO 100

f/5.6

1/80

300 mm

I'm still not pleased with the lack of focus in one of the eyes, and my depth of field continues to be too shallow, even when I use 75mm. I'll keep working. I'm not interested in critique about his dirty face, but about the lighting. The kids were in and out of the basement, doing funny shots mixed with serious shots, eating supper, and being willing participants. I just need to know about the effect of the lighting.

Thanks!

The first image is the before...

Attached Images

WisconsinGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 5, 2005, 8:56 PM   #2

This is the "fixed" version. My job of cloning out the pizza on his face leaves a lot to be desired.

Attached Images

Old Mar 6, 2005, 4:12 AM   #3

Hello WIG,

Overall, this is a fine first effort with lighting. The exposure is good and the placement of the key light is nice too. Depth of Field(DOF) is fine too. The eyes seem to be in focus to me, but the image lacks sharpness. When we take our originals and downsize we loose some sharpness. You'll have to sharpen...I prefer Unsharp Mask after all edits are complete.

Most portraits are best shot with the camera in the Portrait position(vertical) instead of the Landscape position horizontal) position you are currently using unless there is a creative reason for it.

It seems to work well with the image you've shared here, but you'll run into some unwelcome problems when using mixed lighting as you have here. Flash, incandescent and fluorescent lights all have different color temperatures. Flash and sunlight work well together because of the closeness in color temperatures.

Don't make your life difficult. Until you have a good feel for lighting your subjects, practice with one light and a reflector. That is the only way you'll ever learn to light your subject properly. IMHO

Thank you for sharing.

Rodney
RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2005, 9:33 AM   #4

Rodney hit the nail on the head. I won't presume to pick the 'amount' of sharpening .. since that is very much a matter of taste. This is a version I did in PictureWindowPro with its Advanced Sharpen transformation. I used the default settings, but ran it twice. The first run (obviously) is in between your version and this one.
Good work for this effort.
Tom B. (TMc)
Attached Images

TMacaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2005, 9:37 AM   #5

TMacaw wrote:
Quote:
Rodney hit the nail on the head. I won't presume to pick the 'amount' of sharpening .. since that is very much a matter of taste. This is a version I did in PictureWindowPro with its Advanced Sharpen transformation. I used the default settings, but ran it twice. The first run (obviously) is in between your version and this one.
Good work for this effort.
Tom B. (TMc)
Nice edit, Tom. The subject really pops out at the viewer now. The eyes look perfect! I'll bet WIgirl didn't realize how good an effort this image really is.

Rodney
Old Mar 6, 2005, 11:12 AM   #6

I never know how much unsharp is too much. Your version is what I was hoping for, although I like some softness with the images, too. I did the landscape version on purpose and set him off to one side. The problem with fewer lights is that I struggle to focus in the dim light. I'll keep working.

Thanks!
Old Mar 6, 2005, 11:19 AM   #7

Raise your shutter speed to 160 and you'll not have to worry about ambient light. You can leave the house lights on which will allow you to focus better.

Rodney
Old Mar 6, 2005, 11:21 AM   #8

Thanks! I'll do that. It has been hard to figure out the settings because the camera keeps flashing at me that my setting is off because even though it is hooked into the softbox, it doesn't recognize that it is there, so this has all been guess work. I knew I needed to get it up there, but I'm learning that with this lighting, I have to just go with my gut and override what it says.

Old Mar 6, 2005, 11:25 AM   #9

WisconsinGirl wrote:
Quote:
Thanks! I'll do that. It has been hard to figure out the settings because the camera keeps flashing at me that my setting is off because even though it is hooked into the softbox, it doesn't recognize that it is there, so this has all been guess work. I knew I needed to get it up there, but I'm learning that with this lighting, I have to just go with my gut and override what it says.

Right, your camera's meter will not recognize that you are using off camera flash so it will warn you that you are under exposed. You simply ignore the warning. I assume you do not have a flash meter? If not, you should determine the f/stop needed for a variety of distances you have the softbox from the subject.

Rodney
Old Mar 6, 2005, 11:34 AM   #10

No flash meter. Would you just pop up the auto flash, put it on auto setting and see what f=stop it recommends??