Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Mar 6, 2005, 8:39 AM   #1

Spring is just around the corner and I plan to capture some pretty flowers. I thought it will be a good idea to get some pointers before the season arrives. Also, I'm thinking it is a good idea to show what I can do if I'm going to evaluate other's efforts.

Attached is a previous attempt. What makes it work or why doesn't it? Improvement ideas are greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time.
RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 6, 2005, 10:00 AM   #2

Hi Rodney,
I thoroughly enjoy pics of this quality and especially those of flowers and plants not native to my own area. When it comes to evaluating these images ... I have opinions, but that's all they are .. and very subjective. In this one, I like the sharpness of the front flower and the bokeh which provides a serene and natural background. My preference would be for a bit more DOF to also present the second flower sharply and then separate the two from anything else.

Having said that, I recall running outside last Spring to capture an explosion of blooms on a Texas Ranger Sage, and ended up with dozens of pics of colorful nothing.

Thanks for this quality example. It helps raise the bar for this Spring's colorful offerings.
Ton B. (TMc):G
TMacaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2005, 10:00 AM   #3
Administrator

Unfortunately, I know next to nothing about flowers (even though my younger brother has agreenhouse and nursery business).

So, I didn't even realize that there were heart shaped flowers. Neat.

I've got mixed feelings on it (trying to decide if using a smaller aperture so that both flowers were in focus would have been a better look -- provided you could still maintain a shallow enough DOF for the background to be nicely blurred).

Edit/Added: I see that I was typing at the same time as TMacaw. LOL

Yep -- I'd agree with Tomon this one... If the second flower was also in focus, I think it would add a lot to the shot.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2005, 10:04 AM   #4

Good Morning Jim,

Spooky pair of responses ... right on top of each other too! Are we on the right track? ..... who knows ..
Tom B. (TMc)
TMacaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2005, 10:11 AM   #5
Administrator

Unfortunately, it can be very difficult to try and judge the results of your efforts on this type of shot, before seeing it on screen...

You don't want to use an aperture that's too small (so that the background is still OOF).... Yet, you can't really tell if the aperture selected would have let both flowers be sharp, without looking at a larger version later.

Old Mar 6, 2005, 10:17 AM   #6
Administrator

TMacaw wrote:
Quote:
Good Morning Jim,

Spooky pair of responses ... right on top of each other too! Are we on the right track? ..... who knows ..
Tom B. (TMc)
Yep.... It's hard to say without seeing it the other way.

BTW, it'snice to see some interest in the new forum here (and you can thank Rodney for the idea). So, thanks for joining in.

Old Mar 6, 2005, 10:32 AM   #7

Thanks, Tom & Jim. I had my lens in Macro Mode for this shot. This was shot at f/5.6. I'm not sure, but I'm thinking a stop smaller and I'd have too much DOF. Of course, I have absolutely no experience at shooting macro shots and even less shooting flowers. Dang, I knew I should have picked off one of the flowers. LOL

Thank you for the comments.

Rodney
Old Mar 6, 2005, 10:46 AM   #8
Administrator

Nah... I think a stop or two smaller would still allow the background to be nicely OOF (it appears to be far enough away from the flowers). DOF is pretty darn shallow at closer focus distances (but then you need to worry about shutter speeds if you stop down too much and aren't using a tripod).

BTW, there is a pretty decent DOF calculatorhere:

http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html

Edit/Added:

To state the obvious: just don't assume that if you're out of the range of "acceptable sharpness" that you have the desired bokeh. Not being acceptably sharp, and being nicely blurred are too different things. ;-)

Old Mar 6, 2005, 11:00 AM   #9

JimC wrote:
Quote:
Nah... I think a stop or two smaller would still allow the background to be nicely OOF (it appears to be far enough away from the flowers). DOF is pretty darn shallow at closer focus distances (but then you need to worry about shutter speeds if you stop down too much and aren't using a tripod).

BTW, there is a pretty decent DOF calculator here:

http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html

Edit/Added:

To state the obvious: just don't assume that if you're out of the range of "acceptable sharpness" that you have the desired bokeh. Not being acceptably sharp, and being nicely blurred are too different things. ;-)

Thanks for the link...It will be quite helpful. We were discussing DOF for the s602 in another thread so I'll direct that poster to the site.

I just looked at the scale on the lens I was using for that shot and the most I can get is about 1ft at f/22. If I understand correctly, that will be about 6in in front of the subject and 6in behind. Correct? Anyway, I could work with that if I manually focus...Really no need for the elements leading into the frame to be in focus.

Rodney
Old Mar 6, 2005, 11:13 AM   #10
Administrator

RodneyBlair wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the link...It will be quite helpful. We were discussing DOF for the s602 in another thread so I'll direct that poster to the site.
I'd make surethe poster knows to use the Actual (versus 35mm Equivalent) focus distance for computations.

I'd need to look it up to be sure, but I think it's probably the same as the Fuji S7000, which I mentioned a while back in this response:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=16

Quote:
I just looked at the scale on the lens I was using for that shot and the most I can get is about 1ft at f/22. If I understand correctly, that will be about 6in in front of the subject and 6in behind. Correct? Anyway, I could work with that if I manually focus...Really no need for the elements leading into the frame to be in focus.

I'd have to plug the numbers into the calculator to see what your DOF range would be, using the focal length you're shooting at (you didn't say).

But, the area of acceptable sharpnessshould be greater behind your focus point (the rule of thumb at most distances is that 1/3 of the total DOF will be in front of the focus point, and 2/3 of the total DOF will bebehind the focus point.

Edit/Added -- this changes as you get closer to the hyperfocal distance focus point (where the area of "acceptable sharpness" behind the focus point is closer to infinity), but at most distances where you're worried about DOF, I'd use the above rule of thumb (1/3 of DOF in front of focus point acceptably sharp, 2/3 behind focus point acceptably sharp).

Again, this is not the same as "nicely blurred" (you'd need to be further outside of the area of "acceptable sharpness" that DOF tables are based, since they're using Circle of Confusion numbers based onold formulas assuming certain viewing sizes), and you may want a lot blurry, versus a little blurry, etc.