Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Mar 6, 2005, 7:30 PM   #1

This photo was originally taken in color and PS'ed to B/W and toned. The blown highlights in the window was intentional (choose that picture) to avoid distractions on the outside of the window. Suggestions, please:-)
Attached Images

bob_ledyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 6, 2005, 8:02 PM   #2

I'm too much of a left-brainer, and cook, to stay focused on photographic points. Also, you do not provide a 'formal' caption or other means of showing intent for this.
For example, the empty Mason jars have relevance, but not unless there are other hints toward canning .. perhaps they could be behind the other items rather than a focus which leads nowhere. The potatoes don't seem to lead anywhere either. If one was peeled, or partially peeled, and the peeler laying with it, I would get some feeling of activity. The empty chair provides no clue, but could, with an apron or some other item suggesting someone departed ... recently or long ago. You understand my direction, although a static scene can have value too. Finally, the window issue is clear, but then the blank wall seems to need something to relate to in the scene ... something on it, or propped against it.
But then .. such is the essence of an image like this since it is so open to interpretation.
You certainly got me thinking.
Regards,
Tom B. (TMc):roll:
TMacaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2005, 7:28 AM   #3

Thanks for your comments.

While I was walking around a local tourist attraction, I stumbled upon this 'set-up' (table, ...). I thought the lighting and shadows would make an interesting photo when converted to B/W.

I put an 8x10 of this photo on my office wall and many gave positive comments. I was looking to this 'tough crowd' :G:G, for suggestions and comments.

After reading your comments, I can understand your points! I've got to think some more,

Bob

bob_ledyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2005, 9:40 AM   #4

Hi Bob,
............and that is perhaps one of the few contextual situations where my comments are not applicable. I could immediately see myself walking through such a site and taking a pic like yours. In this sense your image takes on a very different dimension ... having said that, I might make my same comments to the person who arranged the table, etc.
In this 'Forum' type scenario, all one can do is react honestly and back off when reality steps in.
Thanks for your comment.
Tom B (TMc):sad:
TMacaw is offline   Reply With Quote