Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Mar 6, 2005, 9:27 PM   #1

I captured these images in the Sonoran Desert near my home. We've had a fair amount of rain, and the desert is particularly green.
Attached Images

jeffm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 6, 2005, 9:29 PM   #2

This is a pano [2 stitched] I took the same trip.
Attached Images

jeffm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2005, 9:42 PM   #3

I like the second one better because there are less obstructing elements in the scene. The first one makes me feel as something is blocking my view. I did a quick crop of the first image to demonstrate my point so please do not think I'm suggesting my crop is the ideal crop. Try different crops of your original...The downsized version is difficult to work with.

I also warmed it up slightly for you to see the difference a warmer tone gives the image.

Thank you for sharing.

Attached Images

RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2005, 5:46 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Jeff,

I think this is a very hard subject to get right, perhaps it's a cliche, but I was expecting something more panoramic from a desert picture. I want something BIG, and although the second shot is better, it still seems like you might have been able to climb a hill or something.

I don't have any contextual knowledge about this desert. It seems green but how does it normally look?

The foreground seems a bit cluttered - unless you can get a different vantage point it seems a tough shot to get. Could you climb on top of your car to get a view over the vegetation?

I think Rodney's crop is interesting, maybe from where you were standing you'll have to put some kind of plant or rock formation in the foreground to get an interesting composition.

I am very consious that without knowing anything about the location I seem critical, maybe the shots you got were the best available. In wich case ignore all this. :-)
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote