Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Mar 6, 2005, 11:28 PM   #1

I thought I'd play with this image some to see what I could come up with. Is it cheesy or creative? :?:

Rodney

RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 7, 2005, 12:37 PM   #2

Is "neither" (creative or cheesey) an option? It's not creative since it's a fairly standard glow effect. It's also not cheesey since it's not overdone - or cliched. That said, the image is strong enough to hold up on its own. The effect neither adds interest, nor detracts.

So, ultimately I would say it's neither creative,nor cheesey but "extraneous" perhapsthough not horribley so.
Goldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2005, 12:45 PM   #3

Goldar wrote:
Quote:
Is "neither" (creative or cheesey) an option? It's not creative since it's a fairly standard glow effect. It's also not cheesey since it's not overdone - or cliched. That said, the image is strong enough to hold up on its own. The effect neither adds interest, nor detracts.

So, ultimately I would say it's neither creative, nor cheesey but "extraneous" perhaps though not horribley so.
You are too late...I was hopeful I'd get comments before I put it on my site. LOL

Thanks for your comments. Here is the original.

Old Mar 7, 2005, 1:15 PM   #4

The original is better imo. Nicely done. No need to fool with it. I prefer the lighter background to the dark.
Goldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2005, 1:16 PM   #5

The first thing I noticed was what appears to be a 'dirty armpit'! I actually prefer the original photo since I'm not distracted by the glow.

Bob

bob_ledyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2005, 1:53 PM   #6

I agree with the dirty armpit comment. Also, the glow on your copyright info looks sloppy...

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I think maybe, the glow would look better if there were something in the background to separate the subject from (?).

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"The original's fine; the glow one (with those corrections) is fine but sets a different mood I think (more of a pinup poster mood IMO).
perdendosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2005, 3:27 PM   #7
Super Moderator

Modified one looks rusty not cheesy. :-)

Original is better.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2005, 4:34 PM   #8
Administrator

I like the darker background, but not the glow effect.

So, between the original and the new one, I'd take the original...

If you made the backgrounddarker (but not so dark that you couldn't see enough contrastbetween the background and the subject), and without the glow effect, I'd probably like it that way best.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2005, 5:46 PM   #9

Thank you everyone for the comments so far. I guess I wasn't clear about what I am trying to do and bringing the original in probably made it worse.

Indeed, the original is the best of the two versions. Improvement isn't what I seek. I do want to keep it visually effective, however. The background, clothing, pose and lighting were all carefully thought out. I generally like to keep the scene rather simple.

Young people are fascinated by the most unusual stuff so I am attempting to come up with an easy post trick that might appeal to them. I have to ask here because I don't care for post tricks and rarely ever use them other than for b/w conversion.

Anyway, any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Rodney
Old Mar 7, 2005, 10:13 PM   #10

I like the concept! Keep playing! I agree with the other person who said your copyright info at the lower right was distracting.
smilez03 is offline   Reply With Quote