Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Mar 7, 2005, 4:03 PM   #1

There is no possible way to get this shot without the trees. Besides, I think it kind of adds something.. Comments welcome, EXIF should be in tact for anyone intersted..

Jeff
jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 12, 2005, 12:00 AM   #2

Hi Jeff;

I like the shot for the most part, but think having the tangle of trees in the center of the picture is distracting. If the upper part was cropped, about to where the large branch on the right comes in, it would bring the focus of the shot onto the sunset colors, which are lovely.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2005, 1:17 AM   #3

I think this is a case where the impact of the sunset is being obscured by the tangle of the tree. The tangle itself might be a very interesting photo. However, I don't think both can reside in the shot at the same place.

The eye has nothing to focus on.

Cheers
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2005, 10:32 AM   #4

Hi Jeff,

If you have another opportunity to shoot this, I'd like to see it without the branches that are above and in the foreground. You can get lower or move past them. The trees and homes in the background may become a nice silhouette.

This is a good example of the the difference of what our eyes see and what we have in the final image. As you were standing on your spot framing your shot, your brain filtered out the less interesting and more distracting foreground branches and focused on the more interesting sunset.

Rodney

RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2005, 11:12 AM   #5

Thanks all, I'll give it another shot this weekend.. I didn't realize anyone had replied to this..

The trees in the very forground I could get past. I had actually intended to do a b&w of this one but liked the colors. To get a decent shot of the total sunset though, I would have to either cut down trees or climb onto the roof of the house.. Niether is an option I'm willing to consider.. I don't think I'll have very many more chances at these cold winter day sunsets.

Jeff
:G
jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote