2. macro flower

3. bright sun

4. handheld

5. last one

Thanks for your critique
KeithT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 8, 2005, 7:10 AM   #2

nimber one and numberfour are very nice, the other three seem to be a little out of focus to me although number three seems focused well on the very inside of the flower.
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2005, 10:55 AM   #3
AMG

I like these a lot. For printing, I wouldn`t touch them, but for posting and emailing, I have seen people use a small border to make the image look a little different
Attached Images

AMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2005, 11:16 AM   #4

Hello Keith,

The DOF on all but the 1st and 4th image kind of ruin the overall impact for me. While the blurred background is nice, I'd also like to see the petals very sharp. Bright sun(#3) could have used some fill flash or more fill if you used it.

I think a solid smooth black background will work better for the bonsai. Shooting it from above is fine, but I think you may get better results if the camera is level.

I lack experience shooting plants and flowers so I'm afraid I'll not be much help here.

Rodney
RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2005, 11:21 AM   #5

AMG wrote:
Quote:
I like these a lot. For printing, I wouldn`t touch them, but for posting and emailing, I have seen people use a small border to make the image look a little different
Please do not think I'm picking on you. This is a critique forum so here is my critique of your example.

While the border you've created is pretty-n-pink, it is a major visual distraction. The viewer's eyes will play ping pong with the border and the flower.

I hope someone will correct me if I'm wrong because I'm certainly no expert, but I feel the edited version I'm providing leads the viewer to the picture it surrounds and consists of no distracting elements.

Rodney
Attached Images

RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2005, 4:49 PM   #6

Here are my critiques (I generally think these are quite good, but praise is so boring!)

(1) This is a good "documentary" shot (i.e. something you'd see maybe in a reference book). For me, there's too much DOF -- the background is in focus, so we can clearly tell it'sa sheet, and it takes away interest from this odd-looking bonsai. Plus, I don't think the blue quite matches the feel of the plant. I'd zoom in, back up, open the lens, and (while still keeping the whole plant in focus) try to isolate it more from the background. I think I'd also crop out most of the pot.

(2) (I'm learning from Rodney) I think the focus on this flower is not the center of the flower (the pistils, right?) but rather the darkish blobs on the back petals. They almost look like a smiley face to me. But anyway, I would have set my focus point just a little bit forward of those back petals (since DOF gives you about 1/3 in front of the focus point and 2/3 behind it). That way, some of the center of the flower would be in focus, it would slowly blur toward the camera, but the center of interest, the large, back petals with the darker blobs, would be in focus. I'm not sure how the rest of the scene would look, but that's how I imagine it.

(3) probably the best of the bunch for me -- I don't have a problem with the darker shadows on the top petals -- to me that really gives the photo depth.

(4) I dunno... this flower just isn't a personally compelling subject for me (I don' t know why and "it's all me, not you."), but it looks technically OK to me. To the extent that it's "looking" right, maybe it'd be cool with even a little more look room on the right side of the frame... make it really landscape in orientation (if you have already cropped some)

(5) I feel like I'm gonna get a shot! It's an interesting subject. I suppose I agree with Rodney that the intensely small DOF here makes it tough to discern much of the subject. But it's still cool, in it's own way.

Nice!

perdendosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2005, 7:10 PM   #7

Quote:
Please do not think I'm picking on you
The more you pick on me the more I learn

These are some great pointers, never thought of adding boarders....like the subtle one the best, just need to figure out how to do that. Still have much to leard about DOF.
Old Mar 8, 2005, 7:48 PM   #8

perdendosi. aladyforty, amg,

thank you for the suggestions

#1 Blue was the only color background I had laying around, will have to go get some black. The group I take these for likes the pot in the image. I tried a straight on shot, but the pot looked out of proportion compared to the plant.

#2It does look like a face, the pistil was the focus point. I tried a larger DOF but too much of the background came into view.

#3 me too, I liked the shadow

#4 couldn't figure out why it didn't look right till you said something.

#5 does look kinda strange, still trying to see why your "getting a shot"
Old Mar 9, 2005, 7:40 PM   #9

I enjoy #1 and #4 as being most attractive and well done. I do appreciate the time involved and difficulty in optimizing DOF in each case.
Thanks.
Tom B. (TMc)
TMacaw is offline   Reply With Quote