Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Mar 8, 2005, 8:06 AM   #1

This was my first (and probably the last) try at photographing a family friends wedding. The wedding was outdoors with a combination of bright sunshine and low light in different areas and not very good backgrounds to work with.As Ive always been told, if asked don't do it as things go wrong. Well to cut the story short, I dropped my digital rebel onto concrete about a 3 foot drop, the battery door broke and I had to shoot the wedding holding the camera battery with my thumb to keep it in place:roll:My hands were hurting bad after a short time, I forgot my smaller lens in the confusion so these were all shot with a100-300mm lens. The girl wanted some candid shots that the pros would not get with their great set ups. Any comments welcome.

PS the Drebel survived, my husband repaired the battery door and everything seems to be working fine.

all shots were candid, this one makes me think she is wondering what she has got herself into:-)

Father lends a helping hand with the veil

aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 8, 2005, 8:52 AM   #2

Very nicely done. Watch out or your weekends will all get booked!
alanbutler57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2005, 10:25 AM   #3

thanks, Im hoping they will like them.:-)
Old Mar 8, 2005, 12:37 PM   #4

Goes hand in hand with some things I have heard about wedding photography! Outstanding effort, just getting the job done with gravity interfering the way it did with you dropping your camera. Even Nearly three years after buying mine, I am religious about the camera strap, how I place it on the tripod etc. Looking at them from a keepsake point of view, they're very good. (IMHO) How did the hair get like that in the one where you comment about what she's thinking. (?) Straight out to the side. In case you miss my nudge, in your other post, I posted some shots for you, which for some reason were moved out of "people" to "other pictures" category. Returning the favor to show you a bit of Canada. Best Regards,

KennethD
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2005, 1:20 PM   #5

Hello aladyforty,

First let me say that wedding photography isn't my thing so I do appreciate your efforts. Other than the fact you only have one chance to get the shot, it really isn't any different than any other type photography. Here, you want to capture a moment in time. Capturing a special moment like this doesn't mean you do not want a clear center of interest or capture a subject's best side or best facial angle. It certainly doesn't mean you are free to to forget about proper exposure.

The holding hands image is very good and a very nice capture, but the others I think are not so good for a variety of reasons. Unflattering facial angles and bad exposure are the biggest issues I see. The couples shots would have been better if their faces were closer together. As they are here, the viewer's eyes plays ping pong.

It's easy to forgive "on-the-fly" type shots, but a couple of these look like time was taken to pose.

Will the couple like the images? Of course they will because it's their moment taken by their friend.

Thank you for sharing!

Rodney
RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2005, 9:07 PM   #6

RodneyBlair wrote:
Quote:
Hello aladyforty,

First let me say that wedding photography isn't my thing so I do appreciate your efforts. Other than the fact you only have one chance to get the shot, it really isn't any different than any other type photography. Here, you want to capture a moment in time. Capturing a special moment like this doesn't mean you do not want a clear center of interest or capture a subject's best side or best facial angle. It certainly doesn't mean you are free to to forget about proper exposure.

The holding hands image is very good and a very nice capture, but the others I think are not so good for a variety of reasons. Unflattering facial angles and bad exposure are the biggest issues I see. The couples shots would have been better if their faces were closer together. As they are here, the viewer's eyes plays ping pong.

It's easy to forgive "on-the-fly" type shots, but a couple of these look like time was taken to pose.

Will the couple like the images? Of course they will because it's their moment taken by their friend.

Thank you for sharing!

Rodney

Only posed shots were the last two and they were posing for the pro cameraman. I could not get at them from the same angle unfortunatly:sad:
Old Mar 8, 2005, 9:12 PM   #7

KENNETHD wrote:
Quote:
Goes hand in hand with some things I have heard about wedding photography! Outstanding effort, just getting the job done with gravity interfering the way it did with you dropping your camera. Even Nearly three years after buying mine, I am religious about the camera strap, how I place it on the tripod etc. Looking at them from a keepsake point of view, they're very good. (IMHO) How did the hair get like that in the one where you comment about what she's thinking. (?) Straight out to the side. In case you miss my nudge, in your other post, I posted some shots for you, which for some reason were moved out of "people" to "other pictures" category. Returning the favor to show you a bit of Canada. Best Regards,

KennethD

her hair blew out in the wind, I know the expousre and the harsh lighting was a problem but for some reason I kind of like that shot, it has a personality to it that is just Joanne, the bride as she is.
Old Mar 11, 2005, 6:48 AM   #8

Very nice shots from an extremely challengining situation.I know because I was as to be the primary photographer at a friends wedding.Poor backgrounds poor lighting and my flash unit was DOA when removed from the camera bag,had to use on camera flash for the whole thing,thank god for my 28-135IS lens.Processing and culling 168 images gave me new rerspect for Pro wedding photographers.Despite your mishap I bet you had fun I know I did.The shot with the bride only and her hair blowing in the wind is my favorite,you might want to try it this way.
Dale

Ps,as warned beware more requests for the same,with the results you got you will be asked again.
Attached Images

daler63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2005, 10:58 AM   #9

thanks for looking, I think that shot probably does look better in B/W:-)
Old Mar 11, 2005, 6:59 PM   #10

I think the shots are awesome.

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote