Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Mar 8, 2005, 12:55 PM   #1

Let me know:

A) What your immediate impressions are of the following image

B) Whether you think it is a good arty original(-ish) idea, or whether it's just a silly trick shot

Honest opinions wanted!
Attached Images

redundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 8, 2005, 1:04 PM   #2

redundo wrote:
Quote:
Let me know:

A) What your immediate impressions are of the following image

B) Whether you think it is a good arty original(-ish) idea, or whether it's just a silly trick shot

Honest opinions wanted!
The artistic value is in the eye of the beholder so I cannot judge the artistic merits of this image.

The black sharp text at the bottom is the center of interest here. My eyes leave the text and follow the dagger upward and out of the frame. Is that what you intended for the viewer?

Rodney
RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2005, 1:06 PM   #3

To me it's interesting, but only sort of well-executed. For example, the dagger is not centered, so the image looks lopsided. I think more contrast would also be nice perhaps the dagger's shadow moving off into blackness beyond the book?) or perhaps something else to add emotional impact to the scene -- like maybe a few drops of blood, or maybe the dagger's shadow to be a little sharper, even though the manuscript gets blurred into the background. Or perhaps the dagger shadow should not be so vertical -- more like a sundial and going off into the corner of the manuscript?

Here are my thoughts: You've got the Shakespeare line and you've got a shadow of a dagger. Yes, it's a dagger we see before us, but it says little more. For an art piece, it doesn't really have a message -- it's just self-referrential and contcrete. What is it that you want the image to say?

For example, to present an ironic message, perhaps the shadow wouldn't be a dagger at all, but rather a baby's bottle, or a fountain pen, or a cross, or a flag... each of these elements would convey a particular message about them (how parenthood, the written word, religion, or patriotism can be/are murderous instruments...) Or by, say, adding a drop of blood, you can simply convey a murderous intent, or set a gory, gruesome mood.

I'm just thinking on paper here, but that's my immediate reaction.

Good luck!

perdendosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2005, 1:09 PM   #4

Thats pretty much what I had intended. Although I was wondering whether it was the shadow that would catch the eye first and lead into the text.

I don't particularly want the image to 'say' anything really. What I am aiming for is to give the impression to the viewer that they could almost reach out and grab the dagger like MacBeth of the play.

I have a couple other examples here:

Attached Images

Old Mar 8, 2005, 1:10 PM   #5

and here...
Attached Images

Old Mar 8, 2005, 1:11 PM   #6

and the last one.......

I'll take any suggestions you may have and see how they come out.
Attached Images

Old Mar 8, 2005, 1:11 PM   #7

mmm yeah, I like the angled versions better.

perdendosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2005, 1:16 PM   #8

perdendosi wrote:
Quote:
mmm yeah, I like the angled versions better.

I prefer them too. Although I think I might take some more shots with the tight framing and contast of the first image and the angled shadow of the others.

It's not meant to be a statement really... More a photograph that fans of Shakespeare will understand and enjoy. I do like your suggestion of the drop of blood though, It will be a little difficult, but I'm sure I should be able to create a recogniseable shadow.
Old Mar 8, 2005, 1:26 PM   #9

redundo wrote:
Quote:
Thats pretty much what I had intended. Although I was wondering whether it was the shadow that would catch the eye first and lead into the text.

I don't particularly want the image to 'say' anything really. What I am aiming for is to give the impression to the viewer that they could almost reach out and grab the dagger like MacBeth of the play.

I have a couple other examples here:
If you stand far enough away, then the dagger is the only thing you do see, but if you view at a distance where everything is visible, the eyes are first drawn to the most contrast which is between the text and paper it is typed on.

Rodney
RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2005, 1:30 PM   #10

I think I would prefer it if viewers saw the dagger first and then moved on to see the text at the bottom to explain the image.

I think I'll try tighter framing and a starker shadow from the dagger (actually it's a cut-out piece of paper) in my next attempts.