Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Mar 8, 2005, 4:50 PM   #1
Super Moderator

I didn't think much would come of the obligatory approach shot, but I'm actually quite pleased with this.

I like the luminous quality of the building and the dramatic sky. I've tried to keep some detail in the foreground.

I suppose really if the photograph works it's mostly down to the brilliance of the architecture. It's a truly beautiful building.

Does it work for you?
Attached Images

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 8, 2005, 5:22 PM   #2

Very nice! I tried my Photoshop ND action on it...hope you don't mind!
Attached Images

Old Mar 8, 2005, 5:29 PM   #3

I like it, but would like a bit more clarity. A curves or levels adjustment may give it a bit more zing. In between what you have and Kalypso's edited version will work nicely. Also, a tad more visible texture in the 4 shrubs will be an improvement for me too.

Rodney
RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2005, 5:30 PM   #4
Super Moderator

I'm not sure which one I like better, but I'm sure I'd like to know how you did that.

Or is it a secret? :-)
Old Mar 8, 2005, 5:35 PM   #5

I think I like the first one better-- (no offense Kalypso-- I'm still drolling over the thought of the Hallway series with Jess!) -- the lower contrast is a little more foreboding, plus you get more detail in the sky. I think it needs about a .2 degree clockwise rotation (if you use guides in photoshop and align one of the guides with the horizontal lines in the conservatory itself or the steps up to it, I think you'll see it).
perdendosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2005, 5:42 PM   #6

peripatetic wrote:
Quote:
I'm not sure which one I like better, but I'm sure I'd like to know how you did that.

I ain't got no steenkin secrets! I posted how in the other mansion thread...lemme see:

"You can fake a neutral density filter by creating a curves adjustment layer & selecting Screen as the blending mode. Adjust your curves to bring out the bottom detail (don't worry about the highlighs being blown out). Choose your Linear Gradient tool & select black to white mode...Activate the curves adjustment layer mask & drag the gradient top to bottom until you get the right mix. You can do multiple gradient drags which should find the right transition".

As an aside, you can do it to any degree you want...just enough to bring out some of the darker details & anywhere in between. I just did it this way as an example.
Old Mar 8, 2005, 5:47 PM   #7
Super Moderator

perdendosi,

I was worried about the rotation too. It was a handheld shot, not that it would make much difference because my tripod doesn't have a level anyway.

I did put a grid on and have a look and it seemed OK, so I put it down to the effect of a darker right hand side against a lighter left hand side making it look lop-sided.

But if it's only a very tiny rotation that you say it needs I guess that might help. I'll give it a try.

My view of the exposure/detail is affected by my memory of the light of the day. It was typical 4pm winter London light: diffuse and overcast and starting to get dark. So I tried to get it looking like I remembered.

But that's not to say the picture might not be improved by different processing.

Something I'm also finding with B&W is that so much depends on the screen brightness and angle that when we look at it on our screens we might actually be seeing different things. That's why a print is still best I guess. :-)
Old Mar 8, 2005, 5:52 PM   #8
Super Moderator

Kalypso wrote:
Quote:
peripatetic wrote:
Quote:

I ain't got no steenkin secrets! I posted how in the other mansion thread...lemme see:

"You can fake a neutral density filter by creating a curves adjustment layer & selecting Screen as the blending mode. Adjust your curves to bring out the bottom detail (don't worry about the highlighs being blown out). Choose your Linear Gradient tool & select black to white mode...Activate the curves adjustment layer mask & drag the gradient top to bottom until you get the right mix. You can do multiple gradient drags which should find the right transition".

As an aside, you can do it to any degree you want...just enough to bring out some of the darker details & anywhere in between. I just did it this way as an example.
Ah right - thanks I was playing with that this evening on the mansion picture. Couldn't quite get it right there, but I think this one will be easier. I'll play a bit.
Old Mar 8, 2005, 5:54 PM   #9

Another version. Quick & dirty (including some of Rodneys suggestions)...I'm amazed at what you can do in Photoshop! I have a book & I try to learn one new technique a week. Anybody think a Photoshop tips sticky thread might be a good idea? Although, it would need to be in the Photoshop (& other editors) forum...we can stick a link in the top of this one. Ya'll tell me!?!
Attached Images

Old Mar 8, 2005, 5:56 PM   #10
Super Moderator

RodneyBlair wrote:
Quote:
I like it, but would like a bit more clarity. A curves or levels adjustment may give it a bit more zing. In between what you have and Kalypso's edited version will work nicely. Also, a tad more visible texture in the 4 shrubs will be an improvement for me too.

Rodney
I think I'll need to go back in sunshine to get a different look without having to do everything in post.

I've now taken to doing a levels adjustment as a matter of course for every photo. On this one I concentrated on getting the building to "zing" and was happy to leave the foreground elements as geometry mostly.

But the responses to this photo are very interesting.

Thanks for the input!