Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Mar 9, 2005, 11:47 PM   #1

hello all

here's a shot i took today...i loved the light, and the shadow!

i took this, and while editing (with some help from my bro ELC) i decided the sun (not shown in the crop) was too distracting...

so i cropped it square...lol, i also grunged it up with some noise and streaks...

what do you think?

Vito

(ps...i have the uncropped version if you'd like to see..)
Attached Images

photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 9, 2005, 11:59 PM   #2

Ya know...this is the kind of thing that makes me wish I had become interested in photography at a much earlier age! I fully expect to see Vito's stuff in world-wide print before I check out...keep it up!
Old Mar 10, 2005, 2:29 AM   #3

NICE shadow's indeed and the B&W suits the shot well.
Frank Doorhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2005, 7:05 AM   #4

Very nice Vito. After Kalypso's post I looked at your profile....how young!!! You really have it together and, yes, keep it up and you will make it to the big show.

TG
Trout Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2005, 8:28 AM   #5

Hello Vito,

It's a nice image, but not visually effective. By this, I mean, you do not have a clear center of interest. Sure, sitting up close to the monitor, we all notice the guitar, but it's just part of the scene as is every other element. The further you stand from your monitor the more the guitar will blend in with the wall behind it.

Here, you could have turned the guitar to face the light source a bit more, or moved it so the light pattern on the wall would have been more behind it.

I hope you'll have the opportunity to try a couple differnet variations to share.

Rodney
RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2005, 10:47 AM   #6

Here is a quick crude curves adjustment. I hope you do not mind, but I think it presents better seperation between the center of interest and supporting elements. Your thoughts?

Attached Images

Old Mar 10, 2005, 1:17 PM   #7
Super Moderator

Rodney,

I like the extra punch that the curves adjustment gives the image. I like the detail in the guitar but the light & shadow on the wall needs punch too. Perhaps a contrast boost?

Vito,

I think this is a really good shot that has enormous visual impact. It's something that needs to be framed and hung on a wall in a music venue or music shop somewhere.

I love how the shadows of the tuners intersect the light strips on the wall. If that was an accident then well done for capturing it, and if you placed it that way then I'm doubly impressed.

Very nice work!

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2005, 1:26 PM   #8

peripatetic wrote:
Quote:
Rodney,

I like the extra punch that the curves adjustment gives the image. I like the detail in the guitar but the light & shadow on the wall needs punch too. Perhaps a contrast boost?

Vito,

I think this is a really good shot that has enormous visual impact. It's something that needs to be framed and hung on a wall in a music venue or music shop somewhere.

I love how the shadows of the tuners intersect the light strips on the wall. If that was an accident then well done for capturing it, and if you placed it that way then I'm doubly impressed.

Very nice work!
There are lots of simple tricks that can be used on this image to give it more impact. The curves adjustment I applied is for illustrative purposes only. It is up to Vito, the artist, to decided how much impact and which elements he'd like to enhance.

Rodney
Old Mar 10, 2005, 8:00 PM   #9

I like the shot, nice interplay of light.

I think Rodney's treatment definitely enhances the shot and gives it edge.

Vito, it would be nice to see you do a study of different guitars.

TR
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2005, 12:27 AM   #10

hmm...i'll have to see if i can steal (err..borrow )my friends guitars for a couple hours...

i have a bunch of this one, and my dad's though...i'll post some soon...

..rodney...i'm not sure i understand why you say it's not clear that that's the center of interest...

there really isn't much going on in the shot...just the guitar and the light/shadow patterns on the wall...

i do agree the guitar could stick out more...but i don't think it blends into the wall...

just my opinion...and i appreciate you adding your thoughts!

thanks all for looking and commenting

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote