Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Mar 10, 2005, 7:27 AM   #1
Super Moderator

Following Tom's lead here...

Let's assume we've done all the Photoshop work that we're going to do.

Does it work?
Attached Images

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 10, 2005, 10:09 AM   #2

This one is a very 'arty' image for me ... open to lots of individual interpretation. Since I am a 'right-brain-challenged' person, this is not a good one for me to pursue too far. It seems very contextual and by itself there is no context to guide me. Since the worker's exposure is intentioally compromised (shadow & motion), it probably needs to be even more blurred and possibly cropped into the left margin. The scene leads me out the road to the right, but no sign or other tip telling me where. The time seems to be very early morning, (could be wrong on this) so a 'lonely' feeling is present. .... now I'm lost ..........
My left brain wants crisp images, signs, clocks, directions ...
Tom B. (TMc)
:?:
TMacaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2005, 9:01 AM   #3
Super Moderator

Thanks Tom,

I take it from your reply and the general lack of comment that this is not really an image that can stand alone. Frankly I was unsure myself - I had hoped perhaps it might be able to.

I think the composition has some merit: the road doesn't lead me out of the image irretrievably, because of the near-convergence of the lines one moves out and in again. The verical lines anchor the shot and the lights also provide hooks to stop the eye from sliding away. I like the colour and contrast too.

But the context is important too. This is early morning in the City of London, which is the financial district (akin to Wall Street) and things start early here. Construction work is a continuous process; for many of these buildings are very old and need periodic maintenance. The construction workers start very early and are normally gone by midday; the suits start arriving around 7.30am in time for market opening at 8. The two worlds move between each other like ghosts, seemingly not intersecting and the blurred motion of the shiny vest emphasises that for me. Also the sharp background with the blurred person emphasises the age of the City and the transience of humans as they pass through this location where there have been structures for thousands of years.

I think the image might be able to stand better as one in a series about work or about the City. By itself though it seems to have relatively little draw.
Old Mar 12, 2005, 5:27 PM   #4

Here is why it doesn't work for me. I know some will get a good laugh from my edit, but it is do deliver a point. Someone recently turned me onto this trick. The eyes are drawn to the brightest area of the image...You see where that is??

If the subject(worker) were in focus he possibly could hold the the viewer's attention, but since he is blurred, the eyes seek a focused area.

It's a nice image, but not visually effective.
Attached Images

RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2005, 7:14 PM   #5
Super Moderator

I'm not sure I agree, but lets see where it leads...

Would this one then be more visually effective?
Attached Images

Old Mar 12, 2005, 8:16 PM   #6

peripatetic wrote:
Quote:
I'm not sure I agree, but lets see where it leads...

Would this one then be more visually effective?
If the worker is the Intended Center of Interest, then it doesn't work.

If you disagree with me, then maybe you can explain why you think it may work.

Rodney
Old Mar 13, 2005, 12:53 AM   #7
Super Moderator

Rodney,

What I understood your first comment to mean was that the bottom right corner, which was very light, was removing the viewer's attention from the rest of the photograph. Effectively it was dominating.

It seems I might have misunderstood, my reservation with the comment was simply that the light areas of a photograph aren't always dominant in holding the viewer. But I am willing to assume that sometimes they are, simply by virtue of the brightness, and that such might have been the case in this picture.

My change then was an attempt to reduce the possible dominance of the lower-right corner in this respect, which might allow the viewer to pay attention to the remainder of the frame.

It seems though that I must have misunderstood your point about "visual effectiveness". I use quotation marks because you're using the term in a technical sense with which I am unfamiliar.

As for my intention in the setting up the shot, well I wanted to mostly catch the building in the background, I liked the lines of the poles punctuated by the lights. I knew that some people might walk into frame, but didn't expect the worker to; he just dashed out and I snapped the shot. So the worker isn't necessarily intended to be the focus of attention, I had hoped it might be one item of interest in a whole that had a number of points of interest.

Please understand, I'm not desperately attached to this picture, but I thought it did have something attractive about it. Really my point in posting was to find out whether anyone else thougt so too, and if not then what could I learn to do better next time.

Old Mar 13, 2005, 1:41 AM   #8

If the city worker isn't the intended center of interest, then I guess it works. I didn't notice the poles until reading your last post, however. :?

Rodney
Old Mar 13, 2005, 1:46 AM   #9
Super Moderator

Well heck - if you didn't notice the poles then that bit wasn't working either.

Let's just chalk it up as "one that got away" and move on :-)
Old Mar 14, 2005, 7:55 AM   #10

I just looked at this thread, and find the picture interesting as far as the lights with reflections and textures. It seems to me it would be better without the worker, and with the shot beginning at the lower left, at the base of the curb.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote