Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Mar 13, 2005, 5:57 PM   #11

Wow, these are excellent pictures from you all.

If i may make my last input with a sample image, this is the one that i posted from before with the Focal B&W, but WITHOUT the Soft Focus, i think that this gives the same effect that Rodney was showing before with the right edges of the flag being in black and white.

Please let me know what you think of this one, but more than likelyi will be using the techniques from what you all have posted.

Thanks again,

-Travis-
Attached Images

tswen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2005, 6:03 PM   #12

tswen wrote:
Quote:
Wow, these are excellent pictures from you all.

If i may make my last input with a sample image, this is the one that i posted from before with the Focal B&W, but WITHOUT the Soft Focus, i think that this gives the same effect that Rodney was showing before with the right edges of the flag being in black and white.

Please let me know what you think of this one, but more than likely i will be using the techniques from what you all have posted.

Thanks again,
-Travis-
It works for me. It is great how you took all the input from here and come up with this final solution. BRAVO!

Rodney
RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2005, 7:47 AM   #13

after all that trouble fixing it up. i think you should just try reshooting it without the branches. it doesn't really say anything about patriotist fading. it just says, BRANCHES OBSTRUCTING THE FLAG.

reshoot without the branches and then photoshop the heck out of it for the faded weathered look.

just my opinion.

berto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2005, 11:56 AM   #14

tswen wrote:
Quote:
Thank you all of the comments on it,

Yes, i shot the branches in front of it to help illustrate the "fading" look. However i would like to in Photoshop use the layers and opacity to fade away about half of the flag "the part behind the branches" however, i cannot figure out how to do this right.

The article should be fully done in about a week, if not sooner, i will post a link to it here for anyone that would wish to read it.

I also didNOT use any color correcting in Photoshop CS. I liked the color that the setting sun gave it. Also, when i focused the lens. I got the flag in focus, and then turned it ever so slightly to give it a little blurry look.

by the way rodney, i did love the color corrections you gave the image.

I finally did get around to playing around with the image a little bit, and instead of using Photoshop CS, i used Picasa, and gave it a Soft Focus, and Focal B&W filter

Here is the new image, please let me know if this is better than the original. Or if anyone else has some ideas, i would be glad to hear them.

-Travis-
I think I understand what you are trying to do and tried it myself with your shot but those branches kept getting in the way. So I used a shot of the flag I shot last summer to try out your effect. Is this what you are trying to capture?

Attached Images

choeschen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2005, 11:58 AM   #15

I also tried to give it a bit more impact by replacing the background.

Attached Images

Old Mar 14, 2005, 12:03 PM   #16

The images here are quite nice.

There may be other creative ways to demonstrate it, but I think the tree branches clearly show how a less patriotic society have less respect for the American Flag.

Rodney
RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2005, 12:56 PM   #17

Hello choeschen

The first picture you posted is EXACTLY what i'm going for. Can you please tell me how you achieved that effect?

Thank you

-Travis-

tswen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2005, 2:47 PM   #18

tswen wrote:
Quote:
Hello choeschen

The first picture you posted is EXACTLY what i'm going for. Can you please tell me how you achieved that effect?

Thank you

-Travis-

That one is composed of two different shots. First of all you will want to reshoot your flag and make sure there is nothing in front of it. You don't need to worry about the background at this time as you will be cutting that part out. Then you will want to get yourself a good picture of the sky and as many or few clouds as you want. Now bring them both into PS.

The first thing I did in PS is to duplicate the background layer and then unview the background layer and do all my work inthe other layers. On thelayer with the flag you will want to remove all but the flag. I got lucky and my sky for the flag shot was all grey so I just used the magic wand. Once you get your flag selected I found to have the best resultsifI contract (or expand depending on what you have selected) the selection by 1 or 2 pixels (Select - Modify -> Contract/Expand.) This gets rid of the halo or border around the subject.

Nowyou will want to create a new layer where you will be putting your sky shot (Layer - New -> Layer.) Make sure this layer isbelow the layer of the flag and select it. Now bring up the shot of the sky and select all and copy and then paste it into this new layer. You should now see your flag on top of your sky.

The next step is to fade out part of the flag. To do this highlight the layer with the flag in it and choose the selection toolwith therectangular marquee and select the portion of the flag you want to fade out (make sure you select from the top of the picture to the bottom and not just around the flag and also all the way to the edge, if you don't part of the flag around the edges may still appear.) Now there are two options to fade the selection, one is to use the Feather command under the select menu and the other is to enter in quick mask mode and use Gaussian Blur (or anyother blur.) Either way you choose after you fade the selection just delete it, the layer below it will come though.