Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Mar 12, 2005, 11:32 AM   #1

This was a picture i took about 2 minutes after receiving my Canon FD to EOS Converter. I took this picture to use in an article i'm writing for my high school paper titled "Fading Patriotism"

Cameraspecs:

Camera: Canon Digital Rebel
Lens: Canon FD 135mm
Aperture: f/3.5
Shutter: 1/3200
ISO: 400

----- A little off topic but, in my opinion the FD to EOS converter does a fantastic job, i did not see any problem with the images. And from what i can see, it works with ALL FD Lenses. The only problem with using the FD lenses is that you have to manually focus, which isn't hard. This converter has given new life to my father's old FD lenses. -----

Any comments on the photo are appreciated

-Travis-
Attached Images

tswen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 12, 2005, 11:59 AM   #2

The composition doesn't excite me much, but the overall impact can be improved greatly. Thank you for sharing the lens info...I'm sure it will be helpful to others.

Edited version attached to dimonstrate what a little punch will do.

Rodney
Attached Images

RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2005, 4:45 AM   #3

Travis;

My only criticism here is that the tree branches are cluttering up the flag. If you could shoot it from another angle, so the branches are in the background, it would be more effective.

Rodney;

The picture is to illustrate an article titled "Fading Patriotism", so he may not want a sharpened, contrasty image.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2005, 8:30 AM   #4

The tree branches could of use also, to illustrate that the patriotism/flag has become something that is no longer "up front". But i agree that it would be nicer without the branches in the way.

I would love to read the article by the way . That would be really interesting, I have american history as my favourite subject, and these things are rarely discussed in Sweden .
LCohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2005, 8:58 AM   #5

VTphotog wrote:
Quote:
Travis;

My only criticism here is that the tree branches are cluttering up the flag. If you could shoot it from another angle, so the branches are in the background, it would be more effective.

Rodney;

The picture is to illustrate an article titled "Fading Patriotism", so he may not want a sharpened, contrasty image.

brian
Brain,

I'm thinking the branches that were allowed to grow and block view of the flag are to illustrate "Fading Patriotism".

Rodney
Old Mar 13, 2005, 2:44 PM   #6

Thank you all of the comments on it,

Yes, i shot the branches in front of it to help illustrate the "fading" look. However i would like to in Photoshop use the layers and opacity to fade away about half of the flag "the part behind the branches" however, i cannot figure out how to do this right.

The article should be fully done in about a week, if not sooner, i will post a link to it here for anyone that would wish to read it.

I also didNOT use any color correcting in Photoshop CS. I liked the color that the setting sun gave it. Also, when i focused the lens. I got the flag in focus, and then turned it ever so slightly to give it a little blurry look.

by the way rodney, i did love the color corrections you gave the image.

I finally did get around to playing around with the image a little bit, and instead of using Photoshop CS, i used Picasa, and gave it a Soft Focus, and Focal B&W filter

Here is the new image, please let me know if this is better than the original. Or if anyone else has some ideas, i would be glad to hear them.

-Travis-
Attached Images

tswen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2005, 3:09 PM   #7

tswen wrote:
Quote:
Thank you all of the comments on it,

Yes, i shot the branches in front of it to help illustrate the "fading" look. However i would like to in Photoshop use the layers and opacity to fade away about half of the flag "the part behind the branches" however, i cannot figure out how to do this right.

The article should be fully done in about a week, if not sooner, i will post a link to it here for anyone that would wish to read it.

I also did NOT use any color correcting in Photoshop CS. I liked the color that the setting sun gave it. Also, when i focused the lens. I got the flag in focus, and then turned it ever so slightly to give it a little blurry look.

by the way rodney, i did love the color corrections you gave the image.

I finally did get around to playing around with the image a little bit, and instead of using Photoshop CS, i used Picasa, and gave it a Soft Focus, and Focal B&W filter

Here is the new image, please let me know if this is better than the original. Or if anyone else has some ideas, i would be glad to hear them.

-Travis-
I'm not too crazy about the last edit either. It looks more like bad photography rather than share a message. Possibly something like this edit will work??

Rodney
Attached Images

Old Mar 13, 2005, 4:27 PM   #8

Hi Travis;

It was good to hear your thoughts on how and why you took that shot. It gives a little more context and a better handle on how to evaluate it.

I think I have the idea of what you are going for. Hereis my interpretation. I used the gradient filter in sepia, and then in gray, but a little further right. Did a little zone blurring from the right side to the middle. It might be more effective to just fade the flag, and not the bacground, but then there is the problem of the trees.

brian
Attached Images

VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2005, 5:38 PM   #9

I think I would just desaturate the entire photo.. I don't know what the actual angle of your article is but if the flag fades, denoting faded patriotism, so does everything else around it.. That's the way I see it anyway..

Starting with Rodneys' first edit (because it's the one that was in front of me).. This can be done with an adjustment layer in photoshop.

Jeff
Attached Images

jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2005, 5:41 PM   #10

jsiladi wrote:
Quote:
I think I would just desaturate the entire photo.. I don't know what the actual angle of your article is but if the flag fades, denoting faded patriotism, so does everything else around it.. That's the way I see it anyway..

Starting with Rodneys' first edit (because it's the one that was in front of me).. This can be done with an adjustment layer in photoshop.

Jeff
Good points, but we've gone from fading to faded. :-)

Rodney