Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Mar 12, 2005, 5:47 PM   #1

Again, this was taken last spring. Let me know what you think.

Attached Images

choeschen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 12, 2005, 9:41 PM   #2

I like the shot (although it's Splitrock lighthouse), a change I'd make would be to zoom in so the foreground so we see a little less water. It looks like you wanted to catch that white-cap breaking on the near shore, but I'm afraid there is a little too much Lake Superior on it in general. Try cropping a bit and see how it looks.

Take Care...

Terry
tleonhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2005, 9:53 PM   #3

tleonhar wrote:
Quote:
I like the shot (although it's Splitrock lighthouse), a change I'd make would be to zoom in so the foreground so we see a little less water. It looks like you wanted to catch that white-cap breaking on the near shore, but I'm afraid there is a little too much Lake Superior on it in general. Try cropping a bit and see how it looks.

Take Care...

Terry
I would like to see that crop and ya I notice the spelling error too but its too late to change it
Old Mar 12, 2005, 11:52 PM   #4

It might be worth taking that shot in various light, like early morning or late in the evening to try to get a little more contrast.

The shot looks like it was taken mid-day.
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2005, 12:54 AM   #5

Here is what I was thinking about with the ctop, I hope you don't mind my altering it. As for taking it at a different time of day, you could try earlier in the morning, but as I remember the rock, there might be some nasty shadows. Afternoon would be a challange, this is located on the west shore of the lake which could give some problems getting the detail of the rock without washing out everything else.

Terry
Attached Images

tleonhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2005, 2:07 AM   #6
Super Moderator

I love lighthouse pictures and this is a nice one.

I far prefer the original crop - the extra water provides texture and colour without distracting from the focal point. With the alternative crop I find the shot to have little impact.

I agree that special light would doubtless improve things.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2005, 2:30 AM   #7

I don't think there'll be consensus on this one. Personally I prefer sans waves since the lighthouse is the central point here. Also I've noticed that unless the lighthouse is the primary object then portrait shots lose their impact. Generally landscape shots of lighthouses are the classic. Especially when the lightouse is shown looking out towards the sea as in the firstexample and potrait for the full profile as in the second:

IMHO cheers.
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2005, 2:43 AM   #8
Super Moderator

selvin,

That's really interesting! I love taking lighthouse pictures but most don't turn out very well. Thinking about it - most of them have been in portrait mode - coincidence?

I think this crop might work a little better then, the first lost all sense of panorama for me.

I love this forum.
Attached Images

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2005, 11:38 AM   #9

My vision for this shot was to really put the lighthouse in perspective to the surrounding area. Here are some more of this lighthouse at different angles: