Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Mar 12, 2005, 7:37 PM   #1

I am looking to advance beyond my novice status, and beome a better photographer. Here is a picture of my youngest son. It was taken under morning sun, coming from the subjects right side, with a little fill flash. It is probably one of my better efforts in terms of exposure (good for me at least!!), although the girl in the background is a pretty major distraction..I softened the edges in ps to reduce this, although I suspect I may have went too far. Any comments and suggestions would be welcome. I can post the original if anyone would like to see it.

Ps---Rodney, I've learned more from you in a few days, then I've learned in my previous 15 years of photography!!! Thanks!!
Attached Images

rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 12, 2005, 8:05 PM   #2

Exposure is good. I would like to have seen his face turned a tad more toward the light and the camera moved with him so you'd still have the same facial angle. Also, position the shoulders so both are in the frame.

This image I'd crop more from the bottom and right so that his head isn't leading out of the frame as it is here.

You are off to a great start. I look forward to seeing more from you.

When photographing subjects wearing caps, watch the ears!! Notice how your son's ear is pressed downward giving it an odd shape?

If you have any specific questions, don't hesitate to ask.
RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2005, 8:13 PM   #3

This was more of a candid moment than posed, but the tips will help my future efforts. Now if you could give me a tip on how to get him to wear his hat correctly!!! Thanks!!
Old Mar 12, 2005, 8:18 PM   #4

rjseeney wrote:
Quote:
This was more of a candid moment than posed, but the tips will help my future efforts. Now if you could give me a tip on how to get him to wear his hat correctly!!! Thanks!!
Let him wear the cap as he likes, but when you ready to snap that picture, adjust it for him. :-)

Rodney
RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2005, 8:20 PM   #5

sometimes the simplest solutions are the best!!
Old Mar 13, 2005, 12:19 PM   #6

Snap him when he doesn't expect it, kids are alway's difficult some will not smile normal or will look VERY VERY tense.
I normally play a game, like I shoot but I don't and when I have focused and composed my shot I will look over the camera and let the kid relax, than I will shoot.

Works almost all the time.
Frank Doorhof is offline   Reply With Quote