Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Mar 13, 2005, 8:42 AM   #1

My son comforted this little one after hitting the glass door, after about 30 min the bird was able to fly away.

Resized, no cropping, levels, sharpening and increased saturation

Comments?
KeithT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 13, 2005, 9:40 AM   #2

Maybe another poster should rethink his fading patriotism article he is writing. :G

This is an great candid capturing a softer caring side of your son who is probably a bike riding, rough and tough tumbler.

If he had been wearing a solid dark colored shirt, this scene would be more effective. A white or pale color would have been better if the background elements were brighter. As is, the shirt is a distraction. In fact, my introductory comment is because the shirt is the first element I noticed.

If I had been faced with this same challenge, I think I would have asked him to take his shirt off so I could get a great picture of he and the bird. :-) Kids run around shirtless all the time anyway so it would have looked very natural.

Rodney
RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2005, 8:37 AM   #3

thanks Rodney!

I need to keep your suggestions in mind, cause I just grabbed the camera. Didn't think about the details that you mentioned.
KeithT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2005, 12:42 PM   #4

Hi Keith,

It's still a great image that you'll always be proud of. I like to point out distracting elements so the photographer will begin to see these distractions before pressing the shutter release. Quite often, a few modifications to the composition will fix it.

For demonstrative purposes, I've made a few changes to your original. I've moved your son's hands closer to his face, gave the bird a little more punch and cropped tighter. In the edit, the shirt is less of a distraction.

In this particular scene, you could have asked your son to lift his hands slightly closer to his face and cropped the final image closer.

Thanks for sharing.

Rodney

Attached Images

RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote