Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Mar 13, 2005, 1:03 PM   #1

Daffodils are now in bloom here in North Carolina and it's a beautiful day today. This is my practice shot taken about noon which isn't the best time of day. I plan to reshoot later and will share the results. In the meantime, if anyone has any suggestions please let me have it. :-)

Rodney
RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 13, 2005, 4:39 PM   #2

Alrighty, here is my second try. It still stinks, but I feel I'm improving. :G

Old Mar 14, 2005, 6:50 AM   #3

hmmmm...i like the first shot better. the shadows give it character.
nice shots!
berto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2005, 8:34 AM   #4

i like 1st one for the flower detail and the 2nd for the background, also the 2nd looks flat
KeithT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2005, 9:47 AM   #5

I prefer the first one, except for the less-than-flattering noontime light. It's really unique to see a flower shot with a horizon-- and the jonquil in this shot reminds me of a sunrise. The first shot places the flower in context rather than just a pretty flower amid green leaves (which is fine, but just a lot more common). The second appears to have blown highlights... I'm sure it's near impossible to get details in those white petals, but the first image seems to have a few more.
perdendosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2005, 4:45 PM   #6
Super Moderator

I think the first one is excellent.

I like the way you do your framing too, any general hints or rules-of-thumb you could share with us?
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2005, 6:40 PM   #7

peripatetic wrote:
Quote:
I think the first one is excellent.

I like the way you do your framing too, any general hints or rules-of-thumb you could share with us?
Thanks, but I'm not happy with either shot because I used cheap close-up filters on the lens which caused CA. I keep my top quality glass in the studio so I didn't have those lenses available. The original plan was to have some back lighting and use white paper to reflect light on the flower, but it became too cloudy for the second shot which explains the lack of shadows. I could have used studio lighting or off camera flash, but wanted to keep it natural for the forum. Overall, I'm pleased with the attempt because this was only the second time in my entire life that I attempted to shoot a flower.

I use the same tonal and contrast rules for borders and matts that I use for the images. The first image was a bit more tricky than the second because the image has a dark bottom and bright top. A bright matt will pull the viewer out of the frame at the bottom and a dark matt will do the same at the top so I attempted to find an in between solution. In the first image I sampled a higlighted green from the image and the second I sampled a shadowed green. I sample the thin border from within the image, but have not major rule for that...I just sample an area that keeps the flow going. The idea is to tunnel the viewer in. Quite often, I see the opposite.

Rodney