Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Mar 15, 2005, 5:52 AM   #1

I have finally upgraded from my old finepix 2800 zoom to the more advanced S602 zoom, and I am now trying to master manual photography.

I will freely admit, its a hell of a lot harder than I thought!

This is one of the first batch of shots I took when I got my camera (last week).

All I used for illumation was a 20 watt lamp situated 10 feet away from the subject, the shutter speedwas set to 2 seconds, andI used F2.8 (which I gather lets inthe most light?)

I am trying to take photographs in very dim lighting using no flash, I know this is not practical in all areas of photography though.

Please be honest with your critical comments, but try to aviod the generalised comments of, your photography is crap, try to point out to me where I am going wrong and how I can improve, but PLEASE put it in simple terms, I a bloke who knows not much about photography with a flash camera!

I look forward to your comments

Kung Fu Alien

Attached Images

kung-fu-alien is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 15, 2005, 7:40 AM   #2

I can't see anything seriously wrong with this photograph. I'd actually expect more blurring from camera or subject movement with a 2 second exposure.

As you observe F2.8 is a large aperture and lets in a lot of light. I assume that's the maximum aperture on your camera F2 or F1.8 let in even more light if available.

I have downloaded your shot and used photoshop to adjust the levels slightly and applied an unsharp mask with settings of 150% 2 pixels 5 levels.
Attached Images

Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2005, 11:09 AM   #3

Thank you for you honest review.

I took a look at Photoshop and it looks way out of my league at the moment, so I settled for PaintshopPro 9, it has more of a beginers feel to it, plus its a hell of a lot cheaper :-)

I took your advice on lightsettings etc, and modified the shot to the one you see below, you are right, its a definate improvement, I never thought of enhancing the photo on the PC after, I was just going for the perfect shot!

My camera only goes up to F2.8, so unfortunatly I cannot experment any lower.

To elimate shake, I have nowinvested in a tripod, I feel it isa better option than balancing my camera on a stack of books on a chair, like I did to take this pic.

Kung Fu Alien
Attached Images

Old Mar 15, 2005, 11:36 AM   #4

Paint Shop Pro 9 is a capable program. Below is your image edited in Paint Shop Pro 9.

Rodney

Attached Images

RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2005, 11:40 AM   #5

kung fu,

if you are going to shoot in loow light which is cool too. openning a new world of photography. ALWAYS have a tripod handy. any shots under under 1/50th of a second will need a tripod just to be safe to keep the picture sharp.

what happened with the picture of the cat is, its underexposed. you probably needed 3 or 4 seconds for proper exposure and you only used two.

so, use a tripod and BRACKET! start with 1second, then with 2seoonds, 3 seconds, 4 seconds. the idea is that one of these exposures will better give you a choice on which exposed picture pleases you best. hey, its digital its okay. you can always delete what you don't like. again, use a tripod!

here's my effort.

Attached Images

berto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2005, 2:23 PM   #6

Can you PLEASE tell me, how you got my shot to look so life like?

The difference is amazing!

I did not mean to put PSP9 down, its just Photoshop looked extremely complex to me, and PSP9 looked more like a software that I could get to learn the basics on.

I have only used a point and shoot camera before so am new to manual photography and would really appreciate any help or pointers you could give me.

I have also discovered that there is a hell of a difference between the two.

I look forward to your reply.

Kung Fu Alien
Old Mar 15, 2005, 3:55 PM   #7

kung-fu-alien wrote:
Quote:
Can you PLEASE tell me, how you got my shot to look so life like?

The difference is amazing!

I did not mean to put PSP9 down, its just Photoshop looked extremely complex to me, and PSP9 looked more like a software that I could get to learn the basics on.

I have only used a point and shoot camera before so am new to manual photography and would really appreciate any help or pointers you could give me.

I have also discovered that there is a heck of a difference between the two.

I look forward to your reply.

Kung Fu Alien
I'll assume your response was to me. You're comments about PSP9 hasn't bothered me. I use Paint Shop and PhotoShop, but prefer Paint Shop Pro 90% of the time.

Post processing isn't something I like to put much time into because I'd prefer to get it pretty close to what I want straight out of camera. Some post work is necessary, however. Since I also have a Fuji s602, I am very familiar with the images it renders.

The exposure of the original isn't bad, but a little toward the lower end of the range I like to be in. With the s602, you need to be careful to avoid being on the low end of the ideal range because the lower you get, the more noise you'll see in your images.

For your image, I used the Clarify set on level 3 and a levels adjustment because your lighting was too flat for my taste. Because you were on the low end the exposure range, you have more noise than I like to see so I ran digital camera noise removal at a low level. I then ran unsharp mask with the options set at 1, 70, 4.

I hope this will be helpful.

Rodney
RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote