Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Mar 15, 2005, 11:41 AM   #1

Here is my 3rd attempt at shooting Daffodils. Here, I've decided to use the sky as my background and again have not used a reflector or fill flash. I'm trying to get as much out of it naturally lighted as I possibly can. Any suggestions for the next attempt?

RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 15, 2005, 12:05 PM   #2

i definitely think a backdrop woulda been nice with clustered faded soft clouds.

personally, i still prefer the first flower from your first session. this one just looks like a pinwheel. granted a nice pinwheel.
berto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2005, 1:03 PM   #3

I like it. MUCH clearer detail than your previous attempts. Sure, it looks like a pinwheel, but that's a very unique method of presentation!

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"If I were to control the universe, I'd move the sun just a little bit toward the camera, so the "face" of the flower weren't so backlit. It's almost like the flower has its back turned to us, which is not a mood I'd like for such a sunny specimen. style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"(Maybe a smidge of fill flash or a reflector would work, too)

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"But I do think this particular shot is really unique, which makes it cool IMO.

perdendosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2005, 1:29 PM   #4

Attempt #4 after suggestions from previous attempts. Any suggestions?

**Warning - I'm already setting up for attempt #5**

Old Mar 15, 2005, 2:45 PM   #5
Super Moderator

When you're using the sky like that as a background I think it looks better if the DOF covers the whole flower, like the 2nd shot.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2005, 3:16 PM   #6

Here is attempt #5. How about we brighten things up a tad and add some water? :-) I was fighting with the wind so this one was a bit of a challenge. WHEW!

Old Mar 15, 2005, 3:56 PM   #7

now it looks like a frozen flower pinwheel.
berto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2005, 6:10 PM   #8

My immediate reaction to #4: woah.

My reaction after looking at it for a few seconds: if possible, I'd like to see a little more of the stem, and it looks just a teensy bit (very technical term there) washed out to me... did you use a fill flash? The yellow color is not quite as vibrant. But still... woah. I love it.

My immediate reaction to #5: Love the rain, can tell that there's wind problems (the petals look almost too pushed back compared to the other shots) and it's just so bright (especially with the bright yellow frame) I guess it'd work well in an IKEA, and maybe I don't like it quite as well because it's not as dramatic as the others... It's still great, though.

I guess it just goes to show how great things can get when you've got (1) an experienced photographer who (2) still practices hard to get really great shots.
perdendosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2005, 6:46 PM   #9

This is my last one for the day.

Old Mar 15, 2005, 7:32 PM   #10

hey dude

a couple things for these..
the first is my favorite...the flower is angled, and set to 'look' into the photo...and the background is nice...

the one with fill flash (the second?)..the flash is too harsh...and it would be better to have side lighting with the flower. that way you get more detail, and the shadows work with you...

i like the water one, but it looks like a studio shot, so would probably work better if it were backed up a bit, maybe a tall vertical in a vase..

oh, btw..the first would be great, but it seems a bit soft (as does the last one)
what are you shooting with?

i like your idea of the sky as the background..keep that idea going

keep shooting bro
Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote