Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Mar 19, 2005, 7:39 AM   #11

What do you think of my version,not a polished effort but as an idea worth considering?
Attached Images

daler63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2005, 9:10 AM   #12

photosbyvito wrote:
Quote:
here's my points..

the first is pretty good...lighting works pretty good (although nothing particularly new...but that's not what you're going for)...and is sharp...but it's a bit tight...

product shots usually have text that go a long with it...

the second one is a bit soft...but is further back...

lol, single most important thing in product photography (pretty much photography in general)

is tripod...and, to make best use of the tripod, use the self timer (or remote )

that way you can use lower ISOs, and you won't get camera shake...or noise...

pretty darn good for a first try dude...

keep it up

Vito
Hello Vito,

The first attempt wasn't really an attempt. I simply placed the object under a light and took the picture to give me a starting point for my new learning experience. The second attempt was not much more than the first...It was shot only to see what a different angle of light will have on the product.

Your point about a tripod and slower ISO speeds has merrit, but you forget that slower shutter speeds also introduce more noise. I'm using an older prosumer type digital(small sensor) for this so others will not think we must have the most expensive DSLR to get great images.

There have been only 4 who have reshot or modified their original image posted since this forum was started. The flower posts I shared and this one is intended to show what it takes to learn.

I've got to find a new product because this one has black text on the opposite side of the bottle and the straw on the inside cannot be removed. I'll try to find a similar product to shoot.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Rodney
RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2005, 9:12 AM   #13

daler63 wrote:
Quote:
What do you think of my version,not a polished effort but as an idea worth considering?
Your version looks good, but product shots have to be color correct.

Rodney
RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2005, 9:17 AM   #14
Administrator

One thing I noticed is that the bottle seems tilted to one side or the other (not shot or cropped level) -tiltedone way in the first photo, the other way in the next.

Then,when I looked closer to figure out why, it appears to be an optical illusion (or perhaps an exaggeration of any tilt) caused by the shadows on either side of the bottle.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote