Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Mar 16, 2005, 6:46 PM   #1

My next few efforts will be to learn how to effectively shoot products. I've never shot products before so this too is new to me. My objective is to learn how to shoot products like those we see in advertisements in magazines. I have all the studio equipment needed to accomplish such a task, but will use only light and materials that we all have available in our homes.

I doubt this is the product I'll use, but wanted to get this thread started with something. This is only a test shot so little thought was put into framing...I simply wanted an image to begin building on.

Materials used for this shot are printer paper for the background and I removed the glass from a picture frame to place under my product. Let the comments begin so I can get started on my next more serious attempt. :-)

Rodney
RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 16, 2005, 7:29 PM   #2

hey rodney,

i think its a nice photo. only critique i can think of is you have to find a way to let the name of the product stand out.
berto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2005, 10:41 PM   #3

Rodney,

What type of lighting did you use? post production?
KeithT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2005, 11:35 PM   #4

KeithT wrote:
Quote:
Rodney,

What type of lighting did you use? post production?
Hi Keith,

No fancy lighting here. I used my home office area in my which has a flourescent fixture directly above my desk. I set-up my background material and product directly under the light. I propped the back of the paper on my camera bag and curved it so that it would catch some of the light.

I used the fuji s602 set at a high iso so it had some noise in the dark areas. I ran a very low level of noise reduction, resized, unsharp mask and posted here. That's it.

Rodney

Old Mar 17, 2005, 1:08 AM   #5

Looks like a really good start, and something I have started to take an interest in, as an acquaintance does some fine woodturning, and needs some product shots to display.

The reflections of the lights in the top part of the bottle are my only real criticism of your picture. Could you diffuse the light somewhat to soften the reflections? Of course, it depends on the look you are trying to achieve.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2005, 2:53 AM   #6

Attempt #2
Old Mar 18, 2005, 10:56 PM   #7

First attempt looks better than the second IMO. First one is bolder - more significant crop, second looks less attractive.
Wonder what side lighting would do for the embossed lettering? Also did you use red for a specific reason, somehow it seems to overpower the object. .02

davedeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2005, 12:28 AM   #8

here's my points..

the first is pretty good...lighting works pretty good (although nothing particularly new...but that's not what you're going for)...and is sharp...but it's a bit tight...

product shots usually have text that go a long with it...

the second one is a bit soft...but is further back...

lol, single most important thing in product photography (pretty much photography in general)

is tripod...and, to make best use of the tripod, use the self timer (or remote )

that way you can use lower ISOs, and you won't get camera shake...or noise...

pretty darn good for a first try dude...

keep it up

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2005, 4:14 AM   #9

It seems to Forrest...although I could go on for a month......digital pictures that are aletered are not pictures...and most of these pictures look queer to beguin with.... just dont know what to think...Look at todays pic...Antartic Iceburg...it dont exist...
Forreste1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2005, 5:51 AM   #10

I don't know what digitally altered images or pictures of icebergs have to do with these pics, so I will stay out of that. I will say that I think your second attempt was more successful for a couple reasons and not as successful for one. In the first one the bottle has a couple bad streaks on the top. Also I can see the edges of the paper curved up behind the bottle, both of the problems are not in the secong pic. But, you can read the BOSS a little better in the first. Somewhere in between the two might be the answer. My opinion may be worth exactly what you paid for it. Great start!
GoCubs is offline   Reply With Quote