Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Mar 16, 2005, 9:02 PM   #1

This is my third attempt this week at photography, well a photograph worth looking at should I say, most of them turn out awful due to my lack of experience.

After taking some advice from forum memberRodneyBlair, I shot this frame using F2.8 and a shutter speed of 1/10 second, again using no flash.

I mounted the camera on the tripod, raised it a few feet above our daughter and zoomed in.

I played with the light and clairty settings in PSP9, (again, thank you Rodney for the advice) and this is my final result.

Your comments please?
Attached Images

kung-fu-alien is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 16, 2005, 9:14 PM   #2

kung-fu-alien wrote:
Quote:
This is my third attempt this week at photography, well a photograph worth looking at should I say, most of them turn out awful due to my lack of experience.

After taking some advice from forum member RodneyBlair, I shot this frame using F2.8 and a shutter speed of 1/10 second, again using no flash.

I mounted the camera on the tripod, raised it a few feet above our daughter and zoomed in.

I played with the light and clairty settings in PSP9, (again, thank you Rodney for the advice) and this is my final result.

Your comments please?
Ah, you've done great job. Consider a blanket with less paterns next time so there is no distracting elements to compete with your daughter. A simple white sheet or blanket would have worked well here.

The clarity adjustment may not produce the results you want with all images...You'll have to let your eyes be the judge. It is an easy method to give your images a little punch until you've explored some other options.

Rodney
RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2005, 5:19 AM   #3

Hi Rodney,

Thanks for your advice about a more neutral background, as you can see I did a rough edit of the original shot and removed the design from the mat, and Isee what you mean,our Daughter now stands out more.

So at a guess, would a good rule to go by be, when trying to capture shots of my daughter try to place her on a neutral light background, and take the shot slightly bigger than I would want to allow for editing, etc?

Kung Fu Alien

Attached Images

kung-fu-alien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2005, 6:26 AM   #4

kung-fu-alien wrote:
Quote:
Hi Rodney,

Thanks for your advice about a more neutral background, as you can see I did a rough edit of the original shot and removed the design from the mat, and I see what you mean, our Daughter now stands out more.

So at a guess, would a good rule to go by be, when trying to capture shots of my daughter try to place her on a neutral light background, and take the shot slightly bigger than I would want to allow for editing, etc?

Kung Fu Alien
The edited version looks much better. If your daughter is wearing light tones as in this image, then you want a light or pale tone background. If she were wearing something darker, then darker background material will work best.

It's always good to leave a little room for cropping, however, you do not want to leave too much and end up with an over cropped image.

Thanks for sharing and keep up the good work.

Rodney
RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote