Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Mar 17, 2005, 8:22 AM   #1

i am planning on giving this picture to a friend of mine as a gift. he's in the military.

it was a muggy kinda day. sun wasn't out so there wasn't much "color". what do you think needs improvement? i'd like to get your opinions.
Attached Images

berto is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 17, 2005, 10:35 AM   #2

The photo is a little overcast looking. Meaning the flags are a bit dull.. Which is pretty much what you've already said.. It could be brightened up some in photoshop (or similar) with a curves adjustment. The way it is, does give kind of a somber feeling.

What is the significance of the monument?? I know it's probably something to do with the Pacific front of W.W.II but, Just out of curiosity.. I'm sure a lot of people lost thier lives so that monument could be there.

Jeff
jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2005, 5:41 PM   #3

Overall it is a nice image and looks much better if you give it a little punch. I think shooting the same scene on a clear day with more directional lighting will work best for this scene. In the meantime, here is my edit with a little more impact.

Rodney
Attached Images

RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2005, 6:38 PM   #4

thanks for the comment, jsiladi. i was going for that somber look but i guess the sky's tone just overdid it.

--this area commemorates the US. military charging to reclaim Guam back from the japanese who violently took over the island. WW2 was a bloody battle because Guam is a strategic location...---

rodney, thanks for the help. the original was very washed out but i was being conservative with me editing. here's one with the added blue sky. i think it changes the mood.

Attached Images

berto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2005, 8:29 PM   #5

berto wrote:
Quote:
rodney, thanks for the help. the original was very washed out but i was being conservative with me editing. here's one with the added blue sky. i think it changes the mood.
I like the original better than the one with blue sky. I don't mind the dark clouds, but everything needs to stand out more. You can pull more out of it from your original than I can the resized compressed version.

Rodney
RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote