Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Mar 18, 2005, 11:17 PM   #11

Perap is exactly right, When you shoot wildlife, in nearly every case, the thing to key on is the eye of the animal. First make sure the light is such that you will be able to see the eye [s], then make certain the eye is in focus. Another part of the body can be a little soft and you can consider it a good photo, but not the other way around. If the eye can not be seen, the photo usually is not good.
Obviously, a great photo has everything in focus, but they have to realise we are just amatures. LOL
Golfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2005, 11:47 PM   #12

The eye looks well focused to me. He probably lost some sharpness when he sized it for the web. Selectively sharpening the eye will improve the impact of the first image. Kung-fu, there is a tool under the clone tool that you can use to selectively sharpen. Set the opacity at a low level and repeat as many times as needed.

Rodney
RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2005, 8:37 PM   #13

Golfer wrote:
Quote:
Obviously, a great photo has everything in focus, but they have to realise we are just amatures. LOL
Oh I know that feeling all to well, I only got my DSLR last week, so photography to me as a whole is alien to me.

I basically log into this forum everyday, take a look at others work and then go off and try to recreate them in my own way.

Some may call that plagiarism , I like to think of it asthis forum is my photographic inspiration, as I aspire to one day be as talented as the others work I have seem on this site.

Most of the time I screw the shot up and it looks crap, but thats the fun of it to me...... learning.
kung-fu-alien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2005, 9:59 AM   #14

The first shot is awesome! Beautiful detail. Now I know how to get the geese to come to me, with some food. Thanks for the tip. I couldn't get the goose I was shooting to come closer; it would just run away.
djazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2005, 5:49 PM   #15

kung-fu-alien wrote:
Quote:
Golfer wrote:
Quote:
Oh I know that feeling all to well, I only got my DSLR last week, so photography to me as a whole is alien to me.

I basically log into this forum everyday, take a look at others work and then go off and try to recreate them in my own way.

Some may call that plagiarism , I like to think of it asthis forum is my photographic inspiration, as I aspire to one day be as talented as the others work I have seem on this site.

Most of the time I screw the shot up and it looks crap, but thats the fun of it to me...... learning.
Right on the money. "every picture tells a story" Often on the prowl for a good picture, I see a promising shot, good subject, and realize I cannot control background, or lighting, or whatever. Even so, I philosophically try to let the subject and surroundings control what I do (or try to do) with the camera rather than try to control the outcome too much with the camera. Bottom line is the enjoyment of the hobby. Steve's site has given me ideas to last a long time for sure. Best regards,

KennethD
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote